Wrong turbo

Rate this topic

G. Bedford

I had an '05 F350 today for a severe lack of power complaint. Turns out the turbo vane movement test confirmed stuck vanes. I rip the turbo off and tear it down to find the unison ring rusted solid to the CHRA. So I go and get a CHRA and ring from parts and get everything buffed clean and ready to re-assemble. I go to place the CHRA into the turbine housing and it won't drop together. I try a few more times and then it dawns on me I have it clocked right, the turbine is too large for this housing. I troop back to parts grumbling and they look it up again. It's correct for the application, I'm told. Now, what the hell, is it miss boxed? Looking through the full history I see it had a turbo assembly replaced 50k ago. The part number they put in is incorrect. Great,now I have everything cleaned up and I need a complete. I also have to do a prior approval. I send off my prior approval explaining the situation and my need for an approval code for a complete. The reply is to install a CHRA and unison ring. Excuse me? Putting the incorrect turbo back in has got to be construed as tampering or modifying the emissions, right? So I send an update wanting to have them reply on the legalities so I can print something off to cover my ass. My reply the second time is an authorization for a complete turbo. Funny how that works.

Flat rate just ain't covering the amount of time wasted in doing a proper repair nowadays. It was a long day, fellas.

So, who is betting the ticket will get reviewed?

I did the same thing. They told me to order the proper CHRA for the turbo that was ON the truck, not the one by the VIN.

Sorry for the next guy Posted Image

I've actually run across this on F550's. Ford lists 1 turbo and the one on the truck is different. Does anyone know if there was a production split on these. I'm having to get the tags off of the turbos before selling them in order to make sure it's like for like.