f -150 project

Rate this topic

fabfoes87

Have a question for everyone. I have a 1993 F-150 short bed with a 5.0. Aod went to hell, and I'm tossing around the idea of swaping to a 5 speed standard. I have a buddy who has a 91 150, 4.9 with the 5 speed. Just wondering if it would be possible to transfer tranny, crossmember, driveshaft, etc. from the 91 to 93. bodys are different obviously but im not sure of the frame and mounting locations. Thanks guys for your time.

Dont know about the gassers and 150s but I did a E4OD to 5spd swap in a 3/4 ton and it went really easy. Especially if you have a donor vehicle. The only thing I had to have special made was a rear drive-shaft. Otherwise all the wiring, cross-members, pedals, column, etc just bolted right in. It took me probably 10-12 hours to get the major stuff swapped and a few hours of tinkering to get things routed just right and get everything working. Since mine was an IDI I didnt have to worry about a PCM at all but may need one from a manual 5.0 I dont know though maybe the pcm is the same from auto to manual.

I'm not sure about this on the Fords, but on the GM stuff, the guts in the transmissions were rated differently...one for a V6, different one for Diesel, different for v8, small block, big block, etc.

Just from a reliability standpoint

Shiiiitt! The 4.9L would walk the dog on that tired ass 5.0L Mikes got in that '93 truck. Posted Image

So that won't be a problem, but I AM hearing some diferences on the flywheel and clutch from the two models.

Hey Now!. Brad you know my 5.slow has got some balls. Anyway the project might have to be put on hold for while. The donor truck might be in the buying market. Only time will tell if the old Flareside will breath fire again. Thanks gents for all the input.

I'm not sure about this on the Fords, but on the GM stuff, the guts in the transmissions were rated differently...one for a V6, different one for Diesel, different for v8, small block, big block, etc.

Just from a reliability standpoint

Actually this is also true with Ford. For example take a Torqshift and compare the planetary gear sets in a gas and diesel application and you will discover there is a different number of planetaries gears. The internals are one thing but the cases for the most part are the same and a bell housing on an "AOD," E4OD, Torqshift or a ZF all match.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the project truck:

Posted Image

And you guys didn't think a 5.0l AOD could do a 4 gear burnout! Posted Image

I am still tinkering with this thing, it's just between the front and back burner. I would like to have it going for the winter though, the 4 wheel drive comes in handy. (It has a bed on it now)

I'd be inclined to agree with building an AOD/4R70W. As fas as manual transmissions go, wouldn't the gear ratios and steps between gears be different for a torquey low-revving inline six versus a higher revving/higher horsepower V8??? You'd also have to f**k around with mounting the clutch pedal and master cylinder, shifter, steering column, what else am I missing.......?

Have a question for everyone. I have a 1993 F-150 short bed with a 5.0. Aod went to hell, and I'm tossing around the idea of swapping to a 5 speed standard. I have a buddy who has a 91 150, 4.9 with the 5 speed. Just wondering if it would be possible to transfer tranny, crossmember, driveshaft, etc. from the 91 to 93. bodys are different obviously but im not sure of the frame and mounting locations. Thanks guys for your time.

Is the donor truck a 4X4 as well? If not, it makes the job a lot tougher. If it is, then measure the overall length of the tranny/transfer case assy's. to see if they are the same length. Also, measure to the mount location from the front of the bellhousing to make sure it is in the same location on both units, as well as the length of the driveshaft. I once had a 78 F150 4X2 that some idjit had put a 250 6 cylinder in when the original 302 died. I put a 302 back in it, but found the engine was mounted farther back, as well as the tranny, due to the longer length of the 6 cylinder engine. The tranny fit on the bellhousing OK, but it meant I had to find some different(original) brackets to relocate the engine to the original location(I found them while on vacation on a truck at a dump up in Northern Ontario). The original driveshaft had been retained, but the tranny was compromised due to having the slip yoke rammed in too far. Therefore, it is good to measure before you start removing parts. Another consideration is the suitability of the donor clutch linkage. Make sure the donor uses the same mounting locations as there was a slight change between the 91 and 92-up cabs. One of my customers took a 5.8 out of an 89 F150 4X2 Auto and put it in a 93 that originally was a 4.9 4X4 manual, so I don't believe bellhousing pattern is an issue. In the long run, simply building a good auto tranny would be a lot simpler, but if you like the feeling of accomplishment that goes along with swapping, then go for it. Posted Image

Thanks for all the advise comrads. I have done much thinking and have actually lost a little bit of sleep. You see this truck is very important to me and I hate not being able to drive it. So my plan is to pick up some more hours on the side and rebuild/purchase a reman tranny. So unless something falls in my lap, it may be a while until anymore pics of the Flareside are on the net doing what she does best. Thanks again guys for the input.