The 450 from hell!!!

Rate this topic

I think I'd mentioned a F450 I was having problems with in another post. It received 8 injectors at the end of January on a retail RO...

When I got it, it had a stal/ no restart hot concern. I'd replaced the #2 injector when the air test showed a leak between the oil rail and the injector. Still stalled with no restart... replaced oil rail.... guess what.

Repeated the air test and found no leaks. Pulled the IPR and the screen had heavy deposits of "guck"... replaced IPR andd HPOP... guess what...

Did the air test again... I mean, I gotta be missing something.... no air leaks. Replaced the standpipes at hotlines request... guess what...

By this time, I'm finally watching EOT along with ICP and IPR.... blipping the throttle to help speed engine warmup had the motor stalling at about mid 70ish degrees celsius oil temp. getting into the the motor had the oil temp down to the high 60s. And I only ever heard one air leak.

I tried running the motor with the VCs off.... I don't recommend this. This engine is about half dusted and would puke about a litre of oil off each head and God knows how much out of the turbo in very short order.

Anyway, I refrained from blipping the throttle and, with the block heater plugged in, I nursed the EOT up to about 85 C and found the remaining 7 injectors passing gas like the crowd at a beer and pickled egg convention. I watched and waited... when the EOT fell below about 80C, it was like someone was throwing switches. One by one, the injectors went from hissing like crazy to nothing in nearly a heartbeat.

After reassembly, a stout roadtest showed that fuel pressure never once dropped below 45 PSI and the difference between EOT and ECT never got any higher than about 5 degrees celsius.

The tech that installed the first 8 injectors is a good tech and didn't put the oil rail on wonky and, staring with a magnifier (us old guys have at least a couple or four in the toolbox), revealed no damage to the injector O-rings.

Question... why on earth would 8 nearly brand new injectors start puking at roughly the same time??? Any thoughts?

I forgot to add that I was a whisker away from replacing branch yubes when I decided to force the air test issue one more time. I think I should buy a lottery ticket.

Quote:
. Pulled the IPR and the screen had heavy deposits of "guck"... replaced IPR andd HPOP... guess what...

Question... why on earth would 8 nearly brand new injectors start puking at roughly the same time??? Any thoughts? [/QB]
Jim,
My vote is in your description.. That "guck" went through the injectors too(well partially)..it surely wiped out the spool valves(in my mind).. Did you look at them? I know your not supposed to, just currious..

No, I didn't take any apart (just too damned glad to get rid of this boat anchor). I did use my magnifier to inspect all the top O-rings... even got one of the younger guys (read that as "better eyesight") to double check.... couldn't see anything different than the new ones that went in.

Before I replaced the injectors, I did warm it up one last time and watched the injectors while I cranked it over.... FICM was disconnected and I ran the IPR up to about 60%. Every injector was a gusher.

What made this one so tough was that the thermal conditions had to be just right. With EOT in the 70s, there was no air leaking and no obvious oil leaking.... get EOT into the 80s and it was like night and day.

OK... so this truck came back.... because it is running "too good", I guess.

The oil cooler was done sometime around new years... that tech found that the turbo was dusted. Customer paid retail to have the turbo replaced at that time and was told the motor is probably in the same shape.

The company got sold... old owner (being a very upstanding and honest type) "forgot" to mention to the new owner that this truck is a worn out POS....

The tech that did the injectors before me told them that the injectors will cure the hard start and rough run but the motor is very "tired". When I got it, the new owner appeared to be aware that the truck was hooped and only wanted to get it running and send it to the auction....

So... the new owner decided to put the truck to work amd now it is my fault that it takes two litres of oil a day.....

How does 30" of crankcase pressure sound????

From what I understand, it was the driver of the truck replacing the air filter that killed it.... The company is (was, I should say) a nickel and dime operation when it comes to servicing the trucks... From what I am told, the tabs on the back half of the air filter housing didn't make it into the slots on the element....

I wish it had been a K&N... would've been nice ammo to use on the "experts"....

I my estimate today with the pricing on it.... something over $22,000 CA plus GST.