01 E450 (looking at buying)

Rate this topic

Hey guys, I'm still pretty green on working on these diesel's, 7.3's in particular just because we don't get any in for drivability. Anyway, I found a box van that I'd like to buy, it's an 01 with a 7.3 and 177,000 miles, anything I should look for in particular? Just bring an IDS along and run some self tests?

Let me know what you guys think,

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

A lot of common sense would apply here looking the truck over. I'd pay particular attention to the turbo compressor impeller and air cleaner ducting, to verify that they have not seen any dirt. These are not easy to inspect on an E-van but worth the trouble. The fuel drain cable is commonly screwed up, so try to get a sample from it. A compression test would be nice, but is out of the question on an E-van. IPR command should be 9-11% and MFDES should be between 8-12mg at a hot idle. If MFDES approaches 16 at a hot idle the fuel command is high, meaning the injectors are worn, fuel pressure is low, or the engine is worn. An oil analysis would be a great idea and can be done quickly at a Cat dealer, or slowly from Napa/Wix under PN 4077.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

The best advise I can give, if you buy it, is to make a slush fund. Set aside some bucks every month and forget it's there. That way if a pricey failure comes up (God forbid) then you will have the money or most of it and won't have to be side lined while getting the money or a loan or whatever to fix whatever breaks.

I talked to the car lot that has it, the owner used it to haul x-mas trees, ran it out of fuel once and hasnt been right since. They say it starts up and runs rough for like 20 mins then it smooths out and runs fine. It's 3 hours away from me, and the price IS right sooooooo I may just make the trip up and take a peek at it. I'm sure it'll tow alot better than my '78 e-350 box van w/ a 460ci in it LOL.