Press Release

Rate this topic

Extensive durability testing put the new Power Stroke diesel engine through the equivalent of 250,000 miles

Is this kinda like the bajillion miles they put on a 6.4 truck without the radiator leaking Posted Image

Good article though, thank you for posting. Just wish the picture was bigger Posted Image

Quote:
Unique inboard exhaust and outboard intake architecture, an automotive-industry first for a modern production diesel engine, reduces overall exhaust system volume, which leads to better throttle response for the customer; additionally, reduced exhaust system surface area minimizes heat transfer to the engine compartment and improves NVH (noise, vibration, harshness)

Doesn't the Duramax use this technology?

Quote:
Compatible up to B20 fuel, allowing greener fueling options of up to 20 percent biodiesel and 80 percent petroleum diesel

Posted Image

Quote:
When at idle, two pilot injection events are used to make the firing process even smoother and aid in quietness

This sounds familiar Posted Image

Thanks for the link, dude! Posted Image

Graphite Iron Engine Block: Interesting. Sooooooo when the bearings spin, will they spin easier? Posted Image

That oil cooler on the left hand side of the block seems to look familiar. Looks like they took the element of the existing cooler we use and stuck it on the side of the block. Unless that's the fuel cooler.

Is that still a Siemens Injection pump I see? I s that freekin thing still under the turbo?

I hope she holds up. But not too good that we're all outa work.

Good article though, thank you for posting. Just wish the picture was bigger Posted Image

There are bigger pictures on pickuptruck.com, jalopnik, autoblog, leftlanenews.......

I'm getting to know allot about this engine already. The only chance I get to read about it is on coffee breaks. I'm too busy working to read anything about it, but Jim's reading the whole article to us out loud so we can concentrate on work and learn at the same time. He's like a kid in the candy store when info like this comes out. Can I see, can I see, huh, please can I see? Keep up the good work Jim. Posted Image

There is also www.ford.media.com. I think that is a public site. I believe you need a password to access more details and photos for articles. The block looks strange because it is so thin around the cylinders and water jackets due the stronger iron allowing them to reduce weight. It looks..."anorexic" I guess is the best word..

Since Navistar is out of the picture, we were going to have to make our own "coffee table book", but budget constraints are making that an uphill battle. Hopefully we will win that one.

Since Navistar is out of the picture, we were going to have to make our own "coffee table book", but budget constraints are making that an uphill battle. Hopefully we will win that one.

Beleive it or not, those books are extremely valuable for many reasons and not only for Ford technicians but for anyone that requires product familiarity AND consumers alike. I refer to most of the ones in our collection often and in looking at the hit numbers other people do too. Is there anything we can do as technicians to voice an our need for these booklets to continue?

That turbo sure is funky. Dual outlets for double compressor wheel by the looks of it. Is that a wastegate I see on that VGT turbo? Is that a failsafe for overboost in case of a stuck VGT or something like that?

Whoooowwww, and four rocker arms per cylinder. That must be freakin tight under the valve covers.

The EGR cooler setup deffinately looks alot better than the crap we're dealing with now. I like how it is all contained in one unit.

See, I'm not always a negative S.O.B. I can find some good things to say sometimes. It will still take a while to see how this baby holds up though.

That second article is a great find Mutter.

yeah I saw what looks like a wastegate and a vgt on that thing too! 6 headbolts per cylinder ! I look forward to torqueing those mugs down!

check out this sound link

http://jalopnik.com/5349452/from-vulgar-display-of-power-stroke-to-sounds-of-silence

I hope those six bolts keep those Aluminum heads from twisting. However, (out here in Redneck central) these things will get abused big time and I imagine that if there any weak spots that they will definitely show up out here.

OOPS.

I went to the site without using the Ford login, and I was able to see the homepage and click on the .pdf file fact sheet about the engine. Of course, this computer may be recognized by the site. I will have to try it from home.

Mentioning the coffee table book in Ford forums may help get the word out. Too bad the TRP guys are already back. They could have brought it up while they were in Dearborn. I think they were allowed to look at the truck and the engine while they were there. Didn't PTS used to have a link on the homepage about what the TRP discussed while they were there?