Fun With Phasers and Solenoid Valve Bodies

Rate this topic

mchan68

Not sure where to post this, but first off, I'd like to thank Brad Clayton for posting this photo:

Posted Image

It didn't actually sink in, as to what the point was to it, until today. I have an '04 F-150 5.4L 3V in for "clacking" noises when engine is hot. Hotline has recommended I replace the phasers and VCT Solenoid valve bodies.

Well, after replacing them, all I can say is, if this kind of butchery exists, how in the hell did he replace the passenger side valve body, given that you need to remove the timing chain guide that is bolted on top of it.

Again, THANKS Brad for pic. It only motivated me that much more NOT to even think of attempting shortcuts or hackery. You'd be amazed how quickly I was able to remove the front cover and time the engine PROPERLY.

Amen to that Mike, I meant to put a red circle around the two cut outs in that cover when I uploaded it, but forgot.

For what it's worth, that fellow no longer works with us.

LOL you didn't need to. Trust me, after digging into one of these myself and realizing that the one bolt was too long to clear the cover was when I had that brainfart, remembering your photopost. It was that photo that motivated me into getting into overdrive mode and pulling the cover off to do it the RIGHT way. Glad to hear that this "tech" is no longer employed at your store. And, for the record, I don't consider myself anywhere near the best tech by any means. But one thing I REFUSE to do, is to resort to hackery. I'll probably never be able to be good enough to be able to satisfy Jim Warman's standard, but I'll sure give it my damnedest. Onto the next 5.4L 3V nightmare that awaits me next week!!