Oil filter housing broke

Rate this topic

Lube tech was changing the filter on a 6.0 and he broke the plastic spring loaded assy (standpipe?) that goes up into the filter. Claimed that the spring was not compressing so he pushed a little harder then snap-now the spring won't stay in the housing. The shop owner asked me to pull the filter out of my truck and investigate the problem-yea, oil change on the owner's dime.

It appears that the 4 tabs on the inside of the filter depress 4 flats on the spring loaded tower before it will 'unlock' and allow the spring to compress. Is this correct? Did the tech do something wrong or is there a problem with the filter assy or Motorcraft filter?

I did notice on my filter that sometimes it was difficult to compress (but I did not push hard enough to break anything) then something would snap and the spring would then compress easily.

Any information would be appreciated as we do not want to repeat this costly mishap.

I've seen a lot of filters that come apart and the pieces get stuck on that tower.

The filter snaps into the cover, then you push gently down while screwing the cover on.

Now I always look to make sure there's nothing hung up in the housing.

gasgasman, there was nothing stuck in the tower. Do the 4 tabs on the inside of the filter (around the oil bypass hole) need to depress the 4 spring loaded pads surrounding the oil bypass valve before the large spring can be depressed? While checking the oil stand pipe on my vehicle I noticed that intermittently it would be difficult to depress with the filter and sometimes I would hear a snap before it compressed. Does the sliding mechanism inside the spring sometimes bind up?

I know this post is 'much a do' about a simple service (LOF) but it is turning into an expensive repair that we do not want to repeat.

I would say you just ran across one that bound-up for whatever reason. I just pulled off the plastic top of a used filter and those tabs are not very long at all. They almost look like they are to keep the filter element from spinning inside the housing. I would just replace the stand pipe, move on and chalk it up as "one of those things."

Those tabs depress a lock mechanism that allows the stand pipe spring to compress. If there are 2 large pieces of flashing between the tabs-like on the Motorcraft filter the tech tried to install the spring will not compress. His mistake is pushing to hard-have to get him off the steriods. Going to check into having Motorcraft cover the repair. Thanks for everyones input.