'06 E-450 No-Start

Rate this topic

Okay, I'm sure most of you know by now, how much I just LOVE working on E-Series (read: sarcasm).

The unit in question arrived on the hook with low ICP codes and the infamous FICM death code (P0611). Vehicle has an open CuDL file regarding the current PCM that's installed in the truck. According to the report, this vehicle has a 2004 model year PCM installed. This would explain the funky EGR throttle plate DTCs that are setting (we all know that ONLY 2004 model years are so equipped, right?). It also has a hard cluster communication fault, as well as the wrench light and check gauges light illumintated. Replacing the batteries and FICM has now managed to get the truck to run, until the engine warms up. Once shut off, it will not restart (still haven't dove into the low ICP concern).

Just for shits and giggles, I attempted a PCM calibration update, and sure enough I get the IDS prompt message that no later calibration is available, and the current calibration listed is 4U7A-12A650-BPJ. Based on the 4U7A prefix, I am inclined to agree that this truck does in fact have a 2004 model year PCM installed. At this point, I am beyond wondering how a 2004 model year PCM made its way into this truck in the first place (since nowhere in OASIS does it indicate one has ever been replaced), I now just want to fix this issue, so my question is, can I "wipe out" the current calibration and install the correct one using the As-Built data that I obtained from HvBOM for this particular truck? Or is replacement of the PCM with the correct one the only way?

Lastly, you wouldn't believe what has been done to this truck. The owner finally came in with receipts from an outside garage. Replacement of parts include "high volume pump", "4 fuel injectors"....... The total cost for repairs to this truck so far, have totalled close to $12Gs!!! (looks like we have another Rex out here) Another kicker here is, the truck in question has only 102,000 kms. (about 62,000 miles). After seeing this, I was tempted to ask the owner WHY in the FUCK he would pay this kind of money for repairs when he could have had it repaired UNDER WARRANTY Posted Image?

I was tempted to ask the owner WHY in the FUCK he would pay this kind of money for repairs when he could have had it repaired UNDER WARRANTY Posted Image?

There are plenty of bad aftermarket shops out there, just like there are plenty of bad dealership techs out there. Read between the lines- the reason he spent big dollars at an aftermarket shop on warranty work is because his experience with a dealer was so negative that he chose the worst of two evils, and it was the wrong choice (in this situation). We've talked about this before and it's a sad commentary on our industry- there's lots of bad techs and bad shops in both areas. My students tell me unbelievable horror stories about their dealer experiences, and some back it up with invoices. I did an Oasis check one time when I didn't believe a student, and lo and behold, he was not lying.

When I had my shop we did a LOT of work at full pay that would have been done free at the dealer. Why? They trusted me to get the truck back on the road. Sometimes money is not the biggest driving force- getting the truck back on the road quickly many times takes precedence. If the cust has a horrible taste in their mouth from previous dealer experiences, they are likely to prefer to pay for the work. I have a fleet of 6.0 vans I teach that chooses to do 100% of their own (warrantable) repairs and eat the cost. This pretty much tells the story.

Posted Image