Anybody try using IDS with windows 7 yet???

Rate this topic

32 bit may be the key to some programs working as opposed to 64 bit... there are reports of older programs not running right with 64 bit OS. I am not confident that Ford's web sites and their applications are easily adaptable and Ford seems to drag thier feet when it comes to being compliant with newer operating systems and, well web browsers too.

Indeed... IE8 has turned my old desktopper into a dog... I mean this is a REAL mutt... not like that little puppy I have.

Google Chrome has helped with the run-of-the-mill browsing but InFord hates it....

Would I sound paranoid if I mentioned that it seems like every time Bill Gates has something to do with it, there's a problem...

More than once I've had to reboot an APIM to get something working for a customer....

How old is your desktopper Jim? IE now has a lot of filters and tools that can be turned off. I remember before I replaced my PC I turned off all the security filters and it helped I can also tell you that IE8 renders some web pages differently. I had to make a couple of changes to all of my sites to fix a few things. I don't look at it as problems as much as I see it as growing pains. When it comes to the computers we use, the hardware is not the only part of the evolution that MUST happen. Software evolves too allowing the newer more powerful computers to do more. I guess it is all in how we adapt and evolve with it. Remember, I am the moron that pushed his main PC to over 9 years of service. Posted Image

• 3 months later...

I tried loaded ids into my pc with 7 and window comes drivers not installed. my sm is to cheap to buy wireless. i may bus my own before long. wear can i down load a driver or do i need to change some setting.

• 4 weeks later...

IDS with Win7 is being tweaked right now. V67 had some fixes for Win7 in it. problem we will all see once Ford gives the go ahead for support is only support for 32bit. 64bit still wont be supported and probably will never be supported, as for the reasons, im not sure i can say exactly what other then there is too many things that will need to be changed for 64bit to work properly. im running on 64bit now while reporting any problems i encounter. it works for the most part but you need to get a realtek driver for the usb cable and on windows startup you have to hit F8 before windows loads then select disable driver signing to install the driver and also every time you start your computer if you want things to work with the least amount of trouble. another option though for those of you looking to upgrade laptops seeing most are coming loaded in 64bit is spend a bit extra and get Win7 professional or ultimate. those 2 versions come with a free Windows XP download that runs in a virtual environment on the win7 desktop. ive been using that since january and it works great.

Keith - without a doubt this thing is getting a little long in the tooth... It's a 2.8 gig Celeron (I suppose I could overclock it - a couple of changes in the BIOS is all that is required on this one) with a gig of RAM... But I have had it up the <HERE> with constantly giving away or throwing aout computers that still function...

Some young guys think it's OK, perhaps... but after twenty years of computing, planned obselence is getting a bit old.

FWIW, I would go back to IE6 quite readily if it was still supported universally... However, something that isn't very amusing is that some websites insist that I should "upgrade my browser". 'Scuse me? I'm busy trying to give Billy Gates world domination as it is...

I paid hundreds of dollars for a 286 DX and paid a bunch of money for a SX mobo... I paid thousands for a 486DX 100... thousands for a Pentium 2 and thousands for what I have now... When is stupidity going to end (and please... let's not belabour the "consumer electronics are cheaper now" crap... we buy shit for the express purpose of throwing it out too soon).

Let's not forget that the world appears to be going to hell in a handbasket woven from Facebook, farmville, mafia wars and God knows what else.

Yeah... I had a shitty day.

One of these days, I will make my appearance in the local Circuit City or what have you ( some will be amused that I shopo in town even though the price may be higher than leaving my money elsewhere... but somebody has to keep our town alive) and drag myself into the new era... I will become an exemplary consumer... whoops, I meant citizen.... of Delta City and I will indulge myself to the delight of the retail sector...

Remember though, without advances in software (browsers) things would be boring. As a Webmaster there are a lot of cool things I can do... but I do consider users with older hardware and software. Besides, I like to keep things a little toward the simple side. Furthermore, IE6 doesn't have the security features 7 & 8 do. In keeping with the topic, I think it is asinine to have to backdate my OS and web browser just to be able to use Ford's equipment and website. I realize it is difficult to stay current sometimes but it irks me when it takes Ford too long to catch up.

My understanding is that IDS' life span is finite... I <think> I saw a planned date for non-support but - WTF, I'm an old fart.

Looking in the crystal ball, I can see one of two possibilities...

A 64 bit laptop or PC based direct access system with possibly some sort of encryption for proprietary stuff (active cruise control, adaptive headlamps, collision avoidance, body control, entertainment systems, non-critical powertrain control, navigation and God knows what else will become the next "must have")...

Or a 128 bit (or higher) system that will have a dedicated tool at the outset and be ported over to a future generation of consumer device. By this time, I expect that the automobile may be a little different than what we are used to.

In either case, I think we will reach the point where a device like VMM will not be necessary.

In either case, I believe we will see our first 6 digit sticker price far too soon.

Remember though, without advances in software (browsers) things would be boring. As a Webmaster there are a lot of cool things I can do... but I do consider users with older hardware and software. Besides, I like to keep things a little toward the simple side. Furthermore, IE6 doesn't have the security features 7 & 8 do. In keeping with the topic, I think it is asinine to have to backdate my OS and web browser just to be able to use Ford's equipment and website. I realize it is difficult to stay current sometimes but it irks me when it takes Ford too long to catch up.

i saw some other posts, what issue are you having with IE8 and FMCDealer? ive been using IE8 since release on FMCDealer without problems(except the many days here and there where the Ford IT department has screwed up the website). as for backdating the OS for the equipment. well some of the blame lays on microsoft for IDS issues. my latest discussion with the IDS people was very imformative. with the current stuff going on, my feelings are IDS in some form will be around for awhile. as for the connection between the vehicle and the laptop, something will have to change within windows or the vcm and cable to make it work with 64bit. PDS is going away due to the limits of the PocketPC and the changes in the vehicles currently and years to come.

Boring? I can remember life without television... Today we have change for the sake of change and people embrace it.

I can't speak for your "internet experience" ... mine consists of reading documents... like THIS. I could damned near do this at 9600 baud.

Today? Today I need a good browser and a powerful computer so I can see the advertisements that the internet is bringing me. DTS web forums.... We leave a few text messages for each other... occasionally we throw in a picture (sometimes a poorly sized picture) or two. What do we need for software or power?

Certainly, we have come a long way from command line computing (many wont remember this.. some wont even beieve that there was computing before GUI). But we see this steady progression of software being just slightly out of reach of the hardware...

And we are firmly in the trap of the planned obselesence that makes us slaves to the retail sector...

I could really babble on here and sound like some wierd old guy.

Fortunately, I don't have to... because so many people are busy being "good consumers".

I remember a line from a forgotten movie (watched on a BetaMax but enjoyed all the same)... "I have him right where he wants me....".

Am I wierd? Oh yeah... Are you wierd??? Did you need to ask?

i saw some other posts, what issue are you having with IE8 and FMC Dealer?

As of NOW FMC Dealer in it's entirety seems to be working on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine with IE8. At first there were a lot of pages that would not display, particularly OASIS and a lot of the plug-ins for the manuals just halted the pages. I do recall Ford having problems with the site and I may have tweaked my settings since then. I was using the IE7 compatibility view for a while which rectified the situation with the ford site as well as a few others I frequented. Now I should turn off the compatibility and see what happens.

Originally Posted By: Jimasaurus
I could really babble on here and sound like some weird old guy.

Too late. You complained about a PC with a 2.8G processor and a GIG of RAM? Remember, I am the jackass that pushed a home built PC with a 733 MHz Pentium 3 with only 512 megs of ram for YEARS. That was extreme but I can tell you that my Internet experience is not only richer, it is far more productive and I no longer swear at my PC every night!

Eventually all computers will not perform well with what you ask them to do unless they are only performing some repeated mundane task whilst technology and time marches on. The only things you eventually will have have no choice in dealing with are a limp dick, clogged arteries and bad eyesight... but there is a fix for all of those now too! Cheer up Jimmy, things aren't so bad when you look at it that way now - eh? Posted Image

Originally Posted By: FordTechCA
i saw some other posts, what issue are you having with IE8 and FMC Dealer?

As of NOW FMC Dealer in it's entirety seems to be working on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine with IE8. At first there were a lot of pages that would not display, particularly OASIS and a lot of the plug-ins for the manuals just halted the pages. I do recall Ford having problems with the site and I may have tweaked my settings since then. I was using the IE7 compatibility view for a while which rectified the situation with the ford site as well as a few others I frequented. Now I should turn off the compatibility and see what happens.

on my laptop with IE8, ive applied the suggested settings that ford has on the PTS website. i also dont run any extra toolbars, no google,yahoo or msn. as ive found their popup blockers can be a pain until you've enabled all the necessary ford related popups. i do favor googles toolbar though over the rest, just a preference i guess. other then that most of my IE8 settings are stock to the way it loads. ive said many times at the dealer i work at that Ford IT department needs to be fired. their ability to keep a needed aspect to our job running sucks bigtime.

I newver did have any noticeable issues with InFord and either IE7 or 8 - and it's entirely possible that part of my disdain is with tabbed browsing.... although letting the PC "nap" with several tabs will often have IE8 trying to recover itself... a process that you apparently can't stop once it starts.

More and more it seeme that some process will decide it wants to do something and it is bound and determined to do it - in spite of anything the user may want.

Like the traction control in my car... I want to spin my tires.... and Ford is saying "not before you embarrass yourself by forgetting the switch".

Being an old curmudgeon can be hard work.

Or a 128 bit (or higher) system that will have a dedicated tool at the outset and be ported over to a future generation of consumer device. By this time, I expect that the automobile may be a little different than what we are used to.

And Skynet will be self aware...

Quote:
In either case, I believe we will see our first 6 digit sticker price far too soon.

Why is it that my 1965 Mustang sold new for $3000 is now worth significantly more than that - yet the 2011 F-250 that I pdi'd Friday will never be worth $62,000 again?

Originally Posted By: Jim Warman

And Skynet will be self aware...

Quote:

Why is it that my 1965 Mustang sold new for $3000 is now worth significantly more than that - yet the 2011 F-250 that I pdi'd Friday will never be worth $62,000 again?

Wanna gut-wrencher?

In 1969, I purchased a red Mustang convertible... One of the fabled '64.5 cars. It had the 5 bolt 289, the generator rather than an alternator and the 4 barrel Autolite carb (289 - 225 horse) and a Cruis-o-matic C4... Even had the full console and I added the pony seats. Red with a white top (all three of my Mustangs have been red) I paid $2500 for it and began hot-rodding it all too soon after that.

I hopped up the motor - getting maybe a little zippier than 289/271 horse trim - and promptly broke the transmission. I swapped in a top loader and, one night when I should have been at home, I pooched a 2-3 and the motor fit real loose in a 5 gallon pail real quick.

When I sold it, it was just another old fucking car and I was glad to get $1000 for it.

So.. let's not talk about the 62 Impala 2 dr/ht, the 63 Parisienne convertible, the 67 Fairlane 2 dr/ht, the 72 XR7 convertible... the 68 Chevelle 2 dr/ht... Gawd... what am I forgetting???

Wanna rub it in? I'm pretty sure I used a Roger Marris rookie card and a clothes pin to make my bicycle sound like a motorcycle... Batman comics... Superman comics... You youngsters turned my garbage into national treasures.... At least you coulda done that before Mum decided I had outgrown them......

At least I'm sitting on a whole whack of Tonkas for my kid....

• 3 months later...

im rezzing an older thread here instead of posting to a new one, im currently testing a fix for IDS running on 64bit Win 7. as of now it seems to be working great and you dont have to do any work arounds to make it work, like using XPMode or hitting F8 on bootup to disable driver signing. i suspect if all goes well there may be an anouncement from Ford about it in the next month. just thought you all might want to know.