Tunap

Rate this topic

My parts manager approached me today, on the idea of moving this product on all diesels that darken our doorstep, as a means of "generating potential income". Before I gave him my blessing, I thought I'd pass this onto all of you for your opinion. This is the product:

http://www.tunap.com/en/ranges/automotive/service.html

Apparently, one of the additives is added to the fuel tank, while the other is added elsewhere (where escapes me for the moment). I've heard of horror stories with using some aftermarket additives, or other non-Ford approved services being tried, so I now seek the opinions of my fellow experts. Any and all are welcomed and greatly appreciated.

The very first thing is to identify the products you're going to "install" as you set out on that slippery slope towards being a "flush queen" shop... I'm sorry, Mike, I have some real firm notions about most fluid additives.

A quick look at Tunaps website reveals a litany of snake oil. And, like Wynns Extend and BG and God knows how many others, we are expected to dump this shit into every vehicle that passes through our bay. If the customer balks, he wont get charged for the product...

But he will already have shit in his car he didn't ask for... and the shop wont "take it out"... And we have started to alienate the guy we need on our side... Especially if he has read page 19 of the 2008 Owner Information Guide - or page 353 of the 2008 F350 Owner Guide - or page 65 of the 2011 Diesel owners supplement... Suddenly, some of these folks will start thinking you guys are talking out of both sides of your mouth.

All of these kinds of products that I have had even a passing experience with are nothing more than a cash cow...They offer some ethereal, impossible to prove "benefits" (the brochure says it's "good" for me) to your customer when, in fact, they are nothing more than a cash grab.

I will admit that I would like to see what Tunaps 131 set can do for a DPF... but they should leave the snake oil at home...

The BG diesel service kits in my part's department have dust on them. To me that speaks volumes. I personally don't recommend them as for the most part it has not been proven to me that they offer any benefit nor value. The last time BG came into my bay it was to demonstrate their EGR flushing device. It failed to clean the ports impressively and I could have done a better job with Motorcraft combustion chamber cleaner, brakleen and a wire scrub brush in a fraction of the time. Needless to say the experience solidified that this kind of product is mostly crap in a can with marketing and profit being more important than any benefit to the engine or the consumer.

Posted Image

I kind of suspected it to be snake oil too. Thanks for your input gents. I guess these guys should be "kicked to the curb" just like Jehovah's Witnesses.

The second paragraph that is shown on the first page that opens is all I needed to see to know what I thought of the company. Under the heading-"Revenue consultancy

Maximum product quality combined with attractive earnings plans - that is the recipe which has made us successful in the eyes of our customers. We analyse your existing systems and pinpoint for you that with TUNAP products you do not generate any costs. On the contrary. You achieve profits." Before I even got to reading about any of their products, I already know it is all about money, as in getting as much of it away from your valued customers. We used to sell some "snake oil" packages under 2 different company names, from the same salesman. We were to collect bottle caps and the tech with the most caps could claim a prize. Did the product work? I dunno, but we sure sold a lot of the crap until the salesman stopped coming around. We still have some very dusty bottles on the partsroom shelf after nearly 8 years. Posted Image

After reading the MSDS information on just two of the products, I further decided that they were something I would not like to expose myself to, just to line my wallet. Also, it is a German company, so I would think the products to be more expensive, due to shipping costs than similar North-American products.