PINPOINT TEST KA UPDATE

Rate this topic

Has anyone performed the ka pinpoint test since they changed it? I dont understand the way they want you to check turbo boost it just doesnt seem like you can accurate results this way. I have not performed these test yet just read about it and am drawing on previous experience

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

I assume you are talking about KA6?

What they are looking for is a difference in MGP when the VGT is at 0% vs 85% (the most you can command) of at least 3kPa at 1200rpm. Not much! I have done this test (KA) a few times, and I find I get quicker results by visually checking the actuator operation, KA11, before I get too far. This is pretty good at letting you know if the VGT is moving at all.

I have found that often when this test is done the actuator will only move nearer the 85% command, no visual movement closer to 0% at all!

What I was told to do by anenginer is to crank up the rpm to 1200. Command the vgt to 85%, with the egr commanded closed. Then let it get nice and hot for about 10 minutes. I was told to do this before watching the cam move in the turbo. It is also a good idea to take out that 8mm allen plug before doing this. Also the cam will not move until I think like 25% or 35%.

There are something like 7 or 8 'steps' that can be commanded between 0 and 85%, but the VGT won't react to the first 1 or 2 even on a known good unit. If it is just the first 2 not moving, I wouldn't be worried. Most bad ones seem to stick and not move until over 50%.