High Mileage '05 E-350 Gauge Issues

Rate this topic

I have myself an '05 E-350 6.0L with 430,000 kms. on the clock in for other work. Just thought I'd pick your brains a little on this one. When you key ON, all instrument cluster lights come on as they normally do and the gauge needles travel to their respective positions, EXCEPT the fuel gauge and the system voltage gauge. There's about a 30 second delay before they travel to their respective positions (before the fuel gauge goes from below E to the actual indicated level and before the volt gauge travels to the middle of the range). I also notice the same sound coming from the engine compartment, just as if you were in the middle of booting up IDS to communicate with the PCM as its running the network test (without actually doing it), and just after this sound is heard, is when the fuel and volts gauge travel to their actual readings. Anyone ever come across this before or have any ideas?

Does the radio also delay? If so check fuse F2.15 if blown the radio and windows will not work in accessory at all and will not work in run until the gauges come up because the accessory delay relay is controlled. I just had the same type of issue with a 2004 E450. I ended up overlaying the harness from the fuse panel to the cluster because we do not use the trailer battery charge relay or the DTRL on this unit and I have not had any more problems with this one.

Does the radio also delay? If so check fuse F2.15 if blown the radio and windows will not work in accessory at all and will not work in run until the gauges come up because the accessory delay relay is controlled. I just had the same type of issue with a 2004 E450. I ended up overlaying the harness from the fuse panel to the cluster because we do not use the trailer battery charge relay or the DTRL on this unit and I have not had any more problems with this one.

This vehicle has an aftermarket radio, but yes the radio delays as well as the fuel and voltage gauges. Thanks for the info, I will pass it on to the owner.