Did You Catch This?!?!

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

This is a part of what was posted in the Message Center of FMC Dealer on September 12, 2005. The rest of the letter had to do with training.

So if you read this, all of the hard work that many of us have put in getting certified to meet THEIR standards has been reduced in value and so have we. The diesel technicians who suffered through this entire 6.0L episode are no longer required for many diesel engine repairs. If this is supposed to help customer satisfaction then how will they explain this when the "knuckle draggers" screw-up the customer's trucks... and guess who they come to and ask to make it all better. This pisses me off! Posted Image Instead of providing incentives to become trained and certified and rewarding those who helped turn this thing around this is their solution, please read.

To: Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealer Principals, Service Managers and Technicians

Subject: Actions Taken to Facilitate Diesel Vehicle Repairs

OVERVIEW

There has been a steady increase in 6.0L diesel traffic which is creating capacity challenges for many of your dealerships. To improve your dealerships' ability to complete diesel repairs in a timely manner and continue to satisfy this very loyal customer base, Ford is announcing a number of changes to diesel guidelines.

ACTIONS TAKEN TO FACILITATE DIESEL VEHICLE REPAIRS

The following actions have been taken to improve the dealers' ability to manage diesel vehicle repairs:

1. Reduction of Required Diesel Labor Operations for Warranty Work

The list of diesel labor operations has been reduced to a minimum number considered critical to ensuring a properly repaired vehicle. The current diesel labor operation list has been reduced from approximately 106 labor operations (varies by model year) to 34 labor operations mapped to specialties 51 (Diesel Engine Performance) and 52 (Diesel Engine Repair).

This results in a 44% reduction in the volume of work required to be done by a diesel certified technician. This change is effective September 15, 2005. Please note that for the labor operations shown in Attachment 1, a diesel certified technician must perform the repair, be identified on the claim and must have documented time assigned to the repair in order for the claim to qualify for warranty reimbursement. Any labor operations that are performed by a technician that is not diesel certified are ineligible for warranty reimbursement Please refer to the Warranty & Policy Manual (page 1-9) for additional information.

Yes, I saw it with much the same anger. In fact, my latest rediculous paycheck convinced me to give my two-week's this afternoon. I just cannot afford to subsidize the 6.0 powerjoke any longer. Warranty admin just simply refuses to pay for root-cause analysis and repair, EVEN AS DIRECTED BY THE PC/ED! My tool bill is higher than my pay, and I'm not the rhinestone toolbox type, either. And I must say it is demoralizing to put your heat, soul, and blood into these oversized rigs only to have the generic guy next door rake in <gulp> gravy Contour timing belts, pulling 90 plus bonus! I struggle to break-even with one 6.0 "emergency case" after another. I really hoped that the new engine would help put Super Duty back where it needed to be; instead it has created another unwanted crisis for Ford and their tecnicians. Well, so long for now.

It won't change much in our shop, those techs that aren't diesel certified want nothing to do with them. They see us doing head gaskets and oil/EGR cooler failures and go about doing their maintenance job with a smile. They have got it figured. Some dealers around us have lost their diesel techs and those customers now come to our shop driving our 126 through the roof. Not to mention having all this extra diesel work(warranty,warranty,warranty) with some other dealerships sticker on the tailgate! I think Ford would have been better served to reward the current diesel techs so others in the dealership would want to rise to the need , but Ford will just further the problem with this action.

Noticed on fmcdealer that the TRP had been apprised of this action(cutting the number of certified tech operations) at their last meeting. Certainly was kept quiet, until Ford posted it on the site. Did you see the TRP also reviewed a cab off procedure for '07 models? Re-designed mounts, relocated hardware and flex-lines to accommodate the removal/installation. Wonder what that will pay!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure I am understanding this. What ops are they cutting? I did not see or read the message. Where does it say that non cert techs are allowed to repair diesels?

For Christs sake, I spent the last 3 months doing double punches so the shop would get paid until I got diesel perf.

Now that I have complete certification I don't need it?

BTW, we have a guy w/ 6.0L certs that couldn't find his ass from his elbow on a 6.0L.

Thats why I have been doing ALL the repairs

Posted ImagePosted Image