FMPP and DEF?

Rate this topic

Does anyone know if Ford Maintenance/Protection Plan covers filling of the Diesel Exhaust Fluid during maintenance services? I can't find it anywhere, and I would guess NO, since it's a consumable like fuel.

And if it does cover it, what happens if/when you run low before the IOLM tells you you need an oil change?

• 2 weeks later...

no. the iolm will tell you if you need def whenever low, independent from oil life. oil change time is just the easiest way to stay ahead of it and kill two birds with one stone. in most cases the def will last longer than oil change interval. but there is always exceptions to the rule.

We have had a couple trucks show low well before the oil change interval. They were new trucks however and I have doubts about two things: were the tanks really full from the factory and what warning was being displayed on the message center. I didn't see either... and at 4 or 5 thousand miles I am wondering if the customers were panicking.

The DEF won't show anything other than Full, XX (half tank) miles to empty, or xx (critically low) miles to empty.

And DEF is covered by FMPP, but only during an oil change. Ideally they told us at training it should require filling at or around your oil change interval, and should be filled during the oil change procedure. So only at maintenance intervals, not if it's low.

I have documentation stating as such, and it's in the 2010 ESP guide.