Injuries at work.....

Rate this topic

LARRY BRUDZYNSKI

Well guy's it finally happened. I can't remember the last time someone got hurt at work. It happened today though. Mark is our Machinist/Cylinder head rebuilder. Our Bead blaster went down this morning. It is driven by chain and gears, the motor went out, and he was replacing it this afternoon. Was going good until he went to put the chain back on the gears, he was bumping it over to feed the chain in. Needless to say his right hand was a little to close to the lower gear and his index and middle finger went for a ride right thru between the chain and gear. It mashed his index finger and sliced the end off of his middle finger. He is still at the emergency room right now. I hope he doesn't end up losing any of his fingers..........

Larry, I am speechless. I wish there were words I could express to convey the magnitude of sympathy that poor hard working bastard has from me, and I'm sure anyone else who reads this.

That's terrible. Years ago, I saw a guy lose his pinkie finger using a Ford spring compressor, installing the front coil spring in a Town Car.

My heart goes out to him.

You guys can give me shit right now....

I sincerely hope that Mark will not suffer any detrimental effects nor disfigurement from his experience.... I hope he has a speedy recovery and I hope he doesn't suffer any emotional scarring from the event....

Because... if he has no legacy problems... we can give him supreme shit for sticking his fucking fingers in there in the first place....

A very dear friend nearly lost his thumb to a utility knife.. I spare no efforts to remind him of the fact when I see him doing something I wouldn't do.

This advice isn't limited to a utility knife and can be "cross platformed" with little imagination... If that knife slips... where will it go? If something bad happens - what will be the result?

If you aren't about to look out for your own safety.... don't look to me after the fact....

Sorry, Larry... I really do hope Mark doesn't suffer any lasting effects.... but....... DUH!!!! What did anyone expect?

The poem "Invictus" comes to mind.

Safety begins with "<ME>".

It's hard to not lose respect for the machines we fix all day, with all the moving parts, the tools that help us do our job, and of course the razor blades that will cut right to the bone if not used carefully.

I'm just saying that it's too easy to get too comfortable working in the dangerous environment that we work in.

Yes sirs, I hear everyone of you. I try to live a comfortable life but still watch what the fuck I do everyday. I machine probably 10-15 fan blades a day myself, not to mention everything that goes on in our shop. I personnally double check the safety's everytime I use the Bandsaw or the balancer. I fucked up once(only once) and almost cut my left index finger off with a circular saw. I still feel the effects everytime the weather changes. My dumb ass, let my thought veer off of the door I was cutting down, for just a second to long, and across my finger the saw did go. Spent too fucking many hours and days of bullshit dealing with that bit of stupidity. I feel bad for Mark but at the same time I want to know what the hell he was thinking or doing that this could have happened. Safety comes first at our shop. We have had a very good record of safety here. This hits us hard. We have a program to be able to lock out unsafe machines or tools. Anything that looks unsafe gets locked out until checked for safety. I found out Mark was working on the bead blaster himself, of which is not allowed. There always has to be 2 people working on any of the machines at work. I don't know what is going to happen in the shop but I'm sure this kind of accident will cause a more stringent safety standard to come in to effect. I'm sure we will have some more training sessions on safety procedures. I am all for it if will help keep these kind of shitty accidents from happening again. I didn't want to cause any bad feelings here. I just thought it would be a good refresher for all of us to look around in our shops and identify potential problems.

• 1 month later...

I was recently released to go back to work. Broke my left ankle walking down a hill at work. Hit a hole wrong, ankle rolled, body followed. I have nothing but respect for the machinery/tools/supplies that allow me to do my job everyday. However, this was a freak accident. I know this....with me being a workaholic...then sentenced to 10 weeks of "bedrest" {I was allowed to move from the bed to the couch, nothing more}..I do not wish that on anyone. It truly sucks waking up everyday and feeling useless. Hope he has a speedy recovery. I know I learned to keep my eyes peeled and be way more observant of my surroundings.

• 2 months later...

Stupid mistake yesterday. While trying to set up my sis's Exploder on my lift, the hood shocks decided to let go and give my fingers a nice hello. The hood completely latched down on 2 of my left hand digits. But thanks to some quick thinking of B.C, I was out in no time. Hurt like a basterd. I dont think I'll be making that mistake again. Posted Image

Not only are the machines we work on dangerous, so are the toolboxes. Was closing down shop last year and busy talking to another tech as Im pulling down the lid on my toolbox, some how didn't get my left hand out from under the lid quick enough and it chopped my middle finger down to the bone. Had to have tendons repaired and like Larry every time the weather changes my middle finger hurts Posted Image

not too long ago i had an air hose end blow off and the hose whipped me in my left eye. luckily all it did was knock my contact out and leave me with an irritated eye. it was one of those deals where someone hose clamped the fitting. the sharp edge of the clamp could have very easily made that incident 100x worse

Years ago, while replacing a window regulator on a '98 Windstar, as I undid the last of the three 8mm bolts that secure the window motor to the regulator itself, I learned the hard way that there was tension there. Let's just say the teeth on the regulator "bit" my middle finger, causing me to leave a trail of blood as I made my way to the first aid kit for a bandage. After two bandages failed to prevent continuous profuse bleeding, my service manager at the time insisted I go to the hospital to get stitched up.

About a month ago, I must've lifted the wheels on an F-250 to re-install them onto the hubs the wrong way, causing sharp pains in my back. As the pain subsided, I never gave it a second thought. Then, a week and half ago, the pain just suddenly returned to the point where I was unable to sit or lie down. The pain was so sharp and intense from the left side of my pelvis radiating down to my left knee that I had to get carted away by an ambulance. The doctor at the hospital gave me two doses of percocet that didn't do squat to kill the pain!!! Eventually, it went away. Apparently, they think it was sciatica that I suffered.

Recently, I've done boneheaded things, the worst being I was going to spray down a part with brake cleaner. Needless to say, I wasn't paying attention and the nozzle was pointed directly at my right eye. Of course I pushed down.............

I've never screamed so loud. I really think it was the one of the worst pains I've ever had to deal with.

This caused me numerous trips to the eye doctor. I only have full vision out of my right eye to start with. It's taken nearly 6 months to regain almost normal vision.

Ahhh, chemicals in the eyes. I still only wear safety glasses when I am doing "dangerous things" like drilling or cutting or using a hammer and punch... mind you there are many things we simply deem safe like using Brakleen for example.

As a younger tech I was bench bleeding a master cylinder using one of those one man bleeders with the nozzles that screw into the brake line outputs... and the rubber hoses that connect to them that you rout back into the reservoir. Well I got way to inorganic with my wooden push rod and the sudden pressure of the fluid cause one of the rubber hoses to pop off of the plastic nipple. And wouldn't you know it? One of the holes in the nipple was perfectly aligned with my eyes. It was a fun afternoon in the emergency room.

To this day I still don't wear safety glasses as much as I should. Posted Image

To this day I still don't wear safety glasses as much as I should. Posted Image

I plead guilty to that. Reading this post should get me into the better (and safer) habit of using safety glasses more often, which I have been, with all those Windstar 10S13 recalls coming in lately. When using any grinding or cutting tools, it should be a given that the "safety squint" won't suffice.

guilty also. about a week after the air hose incident i managed to get a full drop of brake clean right in the eye. painful enough to put me on my knees. grinding, cutting or torching I wear glasses.

I'm probably most guilty of getting burned too often. most of us wear short sleeved t-shirts at work. it doesn't cut it for welding or oxy-acetylene but i don't seem to learn

Unless you're using a hammer, then its the safety blink.

I am also guilty of not wearing glasses as much as I should.

A month or so ago I had heated up and exahsut hanger peice that i had to cut off and reshape. The part was glowing red hot, I was holding it with pliars to test fit it when it slipped out of the pliars.... Natural reaction I reached out and causght it with my other hand. Burnt a large hole in the palm of my hand, about 2" around, at least 1/4" into the flesh. Worse yet, I was wearing a rubber glove, so there were chunks of latex burnt into the wound. Had its own heartbeat for at least a week.

Being as this trade is what it is, there is an element of danger - cuts, scrapes and the odd semi-mashed finger are par for the course... Lost time accidents, however, are what we should all be avoiding.

Chris... one on my hobbies is woodworking. Occasionally I might lend a chisel to one of a select few friends. My wood chisels are sharp enough to shave with. When I do lend one, I always remind them "If you drop it... let it fall to the floor - never, EVER try to catch it".

A long time ago, I got a hot piece of cutting slag down my shirt.... I shook it and danced around long enough for the slag to become lodged in the crotch of my underwear pants. Today, if a piece of slag drops into my shirt... I crush it to my chest - no exceptions.

The worst blue tipped wrench incident I ever saw happened to a coworker at the last place I was at.

He was trying to do an outer tie rod on an older VW Rabbit. I walked over to him, and told him that car had a 1 piece inner/outer tie rod. The outer was crimped onto the threads of the inner. He told me to fuck off.

So I walked away.

He proceeded to heat that tie rod until the ball joint part of the outer tie rod exploded, the cap and grease went into his forearm, the disc was in his arm almost all the way through and you could see all of the tendons and blood vessels, they were all cauterized so he really didn't bleed.

A trip to the ER and multiple surgeries kept him out of work for almost a year.