Typo in PCED?

Rate this topic

Taken from 6.7 Powertrain> Description and Operation> Engine Control Components> Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) Sensor:

The PCM uses the input from 4 EGT sensors to monitor the exhaust gas temperature. For wide frame applications, the EGT sensors are placed in the following order:

Before the oxidation catalytic converter (OC) (EGT11)

Between the OC and selective catalytic reduction (SCR) catalyst (EGT12)

Between the SCR catalyst and diesel particulate filter (EGT13)

After the diesel particulate filter (EGT14)

For narrow frame applications, the EGT sensors are placed in the following order:

Before the OC (EGT11)

Between the OC and diesel particulate filter (EGT12)

Between the diesel particulate filter and SCR catalyst (EGT14)

After the SCR catalyst (EGT13)

Does Ford have EGT13 and 14 backwards? They have them pictured in the CTB page 79 but it "looks"(?) like a pickup bed chassis (wide frame). Should I assume this is a typo, or do they actually change the order of the sensors on a C&C?

Questions, questions, questions, never any answers........

Posted Image

Well, we would have to ask Ford Motor Company this. I could see it either being a typo as you suggest OR the sensors are numbered to follow a particular component. In other words, EGT 1-3 is supposed to always monitor the SCR no matter what the order of components is.

Just a guess mind you.

I cant speak for how service numbers their sensors but here's my guess. I am assuming you know the location of the SCR and DPF are swapped when comparing a dyno cert to a chassis cert. The description you provided is probably correct because of the way we describe the sensors(which is linked to the way the service tools get their info). The sensors are labeled based on component not a generic tag like EGT1X. So for example, you call a sensor EGT14, we call it Exhaust - Temperature Particulate Filter Downstream. If the location of the DPF changes it stands to reason the location of the sensor would change.

Edited -- I guess I was too slow, Keith beat me to the answer.

I sure wish they would make a note of this in the PCED, it's too easy to pass this off as a typo.

Does anyone have a C&C handy they can unplug a sensor on to verify? I only have a pickup handy......

Posted Image

I have one at work, if I get time away from my FICM rebuild, and catastrophic LIMOUSINE air conditioning compressor failure, I'll go see what the deal is.

• 5 months later...

Keith has done us all a favor and confirmed this anomaly in the PCED. Yes, on Cab&Chassis, the EGT numbering is skewed- The EGT sensors go as follows: 11, 12, 14, 13. More precisely, 11-DOC inlet, 12-DPF inlet, 14-SCR inlet and 13 SCR outlet. I believe it is 11, 12, 13, and 14 on pickups. Remember that the order of the components is different on pickups and C&C- the cab and chassis is DOC, DPF, mixer, SCR cat. On a pickup it's DOC, mixer, SCR cat, DPF.

I just wanted to let you all know that this is not a typo in the PCED.

Thanks, Keith! Posted Image

Posted Image

The difference in the order of the aftertreatment components is the factor. If you think about it, this, although potentially confusing, makes more sense than keeping the sensor numbering the same and having to add new DTC's based on application and different ordering of the components which would lead to additional pinpoint tests... additional confusion...

I still have not heard a good answer as to why the different order of the DOC, DPF and SCR. Posted Image

It's a body builder thing. Ford can't control what happens once the truck leaves the plant, so they did it that way to keep the heat in the front of the exhaust and out from under a potentially flammable body configuration.

We were told the difference in "running " order of the aftertreatment parts was due to the (assumed?) fact that a cab and chassis set up would be run at higher load, more consistantly and thus create more heat for passive regen to occur.

Which leads to the question of why the SRC after the DOC on wide-frame (pick-ups). Apparently, they are required to begin controlling NOx sooner than chassis-cab vehicles. This means the heat from the DOC will help the SCR light off more quickly.