6.0 loosing oil internaly and smoking

Rate this topic

Hey guys I have an 06 250 in that the customer has added 4 gallons of oil in the last 1800 miles and is smoking and running rough. It is missing on #1,#2 and #8 cylinder. Ran relative compression test #8 was down 3%, ran a manual compression test on #8 cylinder and it was 350 psi. I havnt done much more than that yet, I just wanted to see if anyone has ran into something like this before, maybe save me some time. Thanks.

What color is the smoke? I would do a manual compression test on the rest and check crankcase pressure. Check the back side of the turbo for oil and do the regular tests on the injectors. you know check fuel pressure,combustion gas in fuel rail and so on. if the turbo has let go don't forget to clean out the intercooler

4 GALLONS of oil in 1800 miles? That's one quart every 112 miles. This is the kind of problem that should stick out like a wedding prick. There is no way to "lose" oil internally - losing oil PRESSURE internally is a whole 'nother deal.

Is there "goo" in the tailpipe? Is the turbo puking oil into the intake? Have you done a crankcase pressure test? What do the turbo fins look like?

Have you had the customer perform an oil use report? AFAIK, the 6.0 can't introduce engine oil into the fuel rail.. but it ain't like I've never been wrong before.

I can't recall any truck using that much oil unless the turbo turbine wheel was missing and the complaint was not using oil-it was smokes and lacks power. I would agree that oil can't enter the fuel rail but I never say never with these things.

Wow, that is a shit-ton of oil.

You'd almost think it'd be running out the tailpipe.

Can we VERIFY how much oil it's using? I mean... put 2-300 miles on it, and if he's putting a gallon in it every 450MI... it should be fairly easy to verify.

Like some others have said... turbine wheel missing is the first thing that comes to mind... Do a manual compression test and see how close the holes are in PSI to each other. Crankcase pressure would be worthwhile to check, also.

Also, it might be worth it to yank the CAC outta there and see how much oil is/isn't in there. Alternatively, you could take a rag, attach it securely to the end of a coathanger, and stuff it down in the CAC after pulling the tubes off, would be easier than pulling it out, but at any rate it sounds to me like you're likely gonna have it out of the truck at one point or another anyway... so pulling it out now might be a good diagnostic aid, as well as a time saver later into the job.

Crankcase pressure is a worthwile test for this. I had one that burned 1 liter of oil every 100 km. Had 20" crancase pressure at idle, and burried the guage needle before 2500 rpm. Ended up having no top rings left in it (literaly) due to dusting. (120,00km on it) It actually ran perfectly smooth, started good and made ok power as well.

I have never seen it, but have heard that if turbo seal is compromised bad enough, ebp can fake a high crankcase pressure reading. I would imagine a low power or lack of boost would accompany the complaint in that case.

• 3 weeks later...