diving in with both feet

Rate this topic

Saw a good one today. A friend calls me 'bout a week ago with 7.3 troubles. '99 E-box stalled and wouldn't restart. Pulled codes and had the usual electronic feedback code. He decided to check the wiring from the pcm to the icm, changed the cam sensor, swapped pcm and idm out, replaced starter and batteries, still nothing. Called me back and I asked if the glow plug lamp came on, yes. He was at his wits end and I decided to make a house call. Got there and said lets see what she's doin'. He spins it over and it's turnin' 'bout 62 RPM's. I said we gotta get a battery charger on this thing. He says the stuffs all brand new. Hhhmmm.. I didn't bring an amp clamp with me. Lets pop the belt off this puppy and see what happens. So he takes the air cleaner assy out and holy crap there is some serious compressor clutch dust. Things locked up tight. Truck purrs like a kitten with the belt off. Ouch. He just sat back and had to laugh. You know sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees, or somethin' like that.