Canned Asparagus

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I love asparagus. Try rubbing some olive oil on it, sprinkle some spices of choice on it, and grill it on the barbie. Excellent!

Posted Image

Canned veggies (pretty much without exception) are a poor excuse for food.

I have never grilled it, so I will try to remember doing so when it comes into season.

We had fresh asparagus with dinner tonight, by chance, but not grilled outside. My wife also grills it on the stovetop on some kind of grill plate that works nearly as well as outside. I mentioned to her our little discussion about asparagus on the DTS forum and received a blank stare in response.

Posted Image

Originally Posted By: eastendpowerstroke
WTF is that about "out of season"????????

When ASPARAGUS in in season... ya dork! Posted Image

I thought canned veggies were never OUT of season?

Even this close to the arctic circle, fresh veggies are there to be had... Posted Image

Yeah, and even closer to the Arctic Circle, there's fresh veggies to be had.

You'll need to mortgage several properties to get them, and leave behind the title of your pickup, but they can be had. Posted Image

Originally Posted By: Keith Browning

I thought canned veggies were never OUT of season?

Even this close to the arctic circle, fresh veggies are there to be had... Posted Image

Jim You and the wife have a extended invite whenever you feel the need to come south...... We enjoy fresh vegggies whenever we feel the need....

SO, I walk into the livingroom tonight just in time to see this on TV.....

Posted Image

dork huh???? Posted Image who was it that had a signature about whats grown in NJ???? Posted Image

who was it that had a signature about whats grown in NJ????

Posted Image

You know I was in the market last weekend and I forgot to look if they had any asparagus around. I'll have to put it on the list for the weekend because I really wanted some!

See Keith....Even New Yorkers still get it fresh.....Might be from a more southern state but still fresher than canned. Mine are all done here now that the frost has hit a couple of times this week..... Still can find the fresh but not as fresh now.....

My wife says fresh asparagus is in stock at the store, Marc's (drugstore) $2.99, K-Mart $3.99/lb.

I guess $1.99 is a deal, I don't do any grocery shopping so I have no clue.

I'm guessing it's brought in from South America or Mexico when we can't grow it in the States. I'm thinking we eat fresh asparagus twice a week or more on the average in my house since we both love it. Like I said, grilled with oil and spices is hard to beat.....

Posted Image

• 3 months later...