Crown Vic Diesel

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Hmmm... seems to have a wee problem with opacity... yes?

Back in the 70s, I recall a shop in Calgary that was offering to convert pickup trucks to Deutz diesels.... Since the Deutz was an air cooled puppy, I don't think they caught on real hard... at least not in a place that can get chilly.

Today, people become vegans... eat sodium reduced foods,,, exercise daily, watch their calories, get their suntan out of a spray bomb and want to be rude with their rides...

I am old and I don't understand a lot of "newthink". Thank God for that...

Ford U.K. offers a 3.0 tdci in the ranger, looks like a Explorer Sport in certain configurations....

turbo diesel common rail injection no info on hp or toque #'s, but I am sure it will be a lot quieter then the 4bt Cummins!!!

But hey, north america LOVES noisy diesels!!!!!

http://www.ford.co.uk/Commercialvehicles/NewRanger/Overview

I think we've had this discussion before as this pic is in my archives. I shot it over there, and I'm not really sure where, it might have been Germany. If I were smarter I could tell you by the plate...

Posted Image

IIRC between 40-45% of cars in Europe are diesel, in the US it's 1.5%.

:(

Yeah Dwayne it does look like it almost belongs there. I would like to know how much smoke it belches during normal driving though. It is a little unsightly. How the heck would you get something like that to pass inspection?

Ummmm, you know you're looking at a bobcat engine in a crown vic, right? It looks like a neat installation because it can't pass emissions criteria.

Europes emissions standards have been tighter than north American standards for quite some time... Japan has seen trucks using SRC technology for several years...

"Simple" is grandpas Cockshutt tractor...

Bobcat engine? That's a Macdon/Westward Swather engine in the Crown Vic. LOL.

And I was talking about the Ranger diesel engine. It is just an awesome looking engine. Are you wondering how much smoke the Ranger belches or the Crown Vic?

Bobcat engine? That's a Macdon/Westward Swather engine in the Crown Vic. LOL.

And I was talking about the Ranger diesel engine. It is just an awesome looking engine. Are you wondering how much smoke the Ranger belches or the Crown Vic?

You were admiring the Ranger diesel engine that puts out a whopping (if not awe inspiring) 140 horsepower?

Yup.. they get all the good shit...

Just so everyone knows... The island we call Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) is something over 244,000 square kms. The province of Alberta is something over 650,000 square kms. Diesel fuel in England is currently about a buck 30 per liter (almost 5 bucks a gallon for you southern gents).

Now... we were talking about????

Yes and no. There are rotary "nuts" out there. But...

We had a kid that worked in our shop who bought a '93 turbo RX-7.

The rotary was blown when he bought it, it now has a LS-2 w/6 spd M, soon to have an LS-7. The LS engine, and it's subframe w/trans weighs less and fits under the hood better than the Mazda parts. And it's by far cleaner, emission wise.

It must be nice to have loaded parents.

Here's the conversion parts, less the motor/trans/PCM.

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/s-602-lsx-v8-mounting-kit.aspx

How much power do you need in a ranger Jim?

it's not like our 2.3 gas or the 4.0 gas is all thaw aww inspiring either!!! both diesels on offer in the uk ranger have more torque then ours and get better fuel economy too!

yes the price of diesel is more then ours but so is gas, with diesel being about .06 per liter more then gas over there its beneficial to get as good a fuel consumption as you can!!!

UK Petrol Prices for

Sunday 24th Oct 2010

Avg. Min. Max.

Unleaded:118.1p 112.9p 131.9p

Diesel: 121.5p 115.9p 135.9p

2.3L I4 4.0L V6 EEC-V EEC-V

2.3L (140 CID) 4.0L (245 CID)

143@5,250 hp 207@5,250

154@3,750 torque 238@3,000

The new Euro-spec Ranger, an attractive looking truck even shown here in over-adorned Wildtrak trim, will get a choice of Duratorq turbo diesel engines in either 2.5-liter or 3.0-liter fun sizes, putting out 145 HP and 243 lb-ft of torque and 156 HP and 280 lb.-ft. of torque, respectively. Transmission choices are of the five-speed auto or manual variety and can be had on all models.

I sure wouldn`t mind owning that Crown Vic though.

I wouldn't either, except I would want a V8 turbo diesel under the hood. Call me old school if you will, but NOTHING sounds cooler than the V8 engine roar, not even a V10 or V12 (and yes, I've heard the sound of both).

...except I would want a V8 turbo diesel under the hood. Call me old school if you will, but NOTHING sounds cooler than the V8 engine roar...

Ohhh I dunno, I think the I-6 Cummins sounds pretty damn cool. In fact, we share our shop with our Dodge store and there are many Cummins engines in the shop that sound much nicer than a 6.0L ever did. Posted Image

While we are talking about strange combinations, anyone remember the BMW slant six turbo diesel in the rear wheel drive Continentals? All courtesy of Ford Motor Company.

But back to the Crown Vic diesel, I have often thought about re-powering them with a diesel for the taxi fleets, if the cabbies would pay, ha ha. Probably wouldn't use the Cummins though. Better that than all those damn Priuses.