Torqshift Trans line disconnect

Rate this topic

The problem is with the design of the fittings. Steel rings in an aluminum housing exposed to the elements causes galvanic corrosion which fills the groove that the ring would be pushed into by the disconnect tool. The plastic disconnect tools are too flimsy for all but brand new fittings. Even the aluminum one I bought (AST # 8023) is sometimes unable to get them apart. To prevent having to replace the rad for the 2 fittings there, you can sacrifice a new remote mounted tranny filter from a 2008 Super Duty(mounted under the bellhousing on some of them). It has 2 of the fittings on it that unscrew and are identical to the ones on the rad. The 2003-2007 remote filter assembly complete is another option if you are trying to get the lines apart there. Both of these filters cost around $80 Canadian, so should be cheaper in the USA. I fought with one of those fittings for close to an hour once and decided it was easier to break them apart and replace them than to get them apart if they were that badly corroded. CLR may help to remove the corrosion if you can get the fittings soaking in it. Just unscrew them from the rad and/or filter housing. If the fittings absolutely refuse to come apart, then replacement of the lines and fittings is your only option. Good luck with them. Posted Image

The Edge cooler lines are even worse to get apart.

If you're talking about the junction block, I don't even bother farting around with those connections anymore. I just get my open end wrench and turn them loose with the fitting still attached to the lines. A water pump only pays 8.2 on those, thank you very much.

• 3 weeks later...

man i hate those edge/mkx fittings. i may try my next phaser job in the vehicle just to avoid those lines. last one i had the 19mm fitting loose but i couldn't get it started again without crossthreading it. Posted Image

the front one needs be removed to get the side cover off too