7.3l miss at start

Rate this topic

had a 1995 7.3l with 70,000 miles in the shop with codes p1275,p1277,p1294, p0198.Complaint was no cold start below 50 degrees without being plugged in.When vehicle does start it sounds like it is missing on a couple cylinders for aprox. 5 to 7 seconds and clears up.Customer says truck was run low on oil and quit on the road after he first purchased it used.Truck refired after oil was added.Did all visual test with fuel and oil.Tested glow plug harness connectors all banks even removed valve covers and inspected. ran injector buzz test no problem .Replaced 5&7 uvc harness scince codes were based on that bank.Glow plugs check good and glow plug solenoid checked good.Checked wires from injector harness through 42-way to idm good.WDS would not bring up icp pid in datalogger so icp has not been checked yet.Customer needed truck and is going to bring back and leave truck for more diag.How is the best way to check icp without wds.P0198 code has not come back yet but the others have.Is this maybee an idm or injector problem.Any input appreciated before I get this truck back next week.Thanx.

If all of the injector codes have returned I would say the IDM is failing. Just as long as you have indeed verified that the circuits are all good. The P1294 code is what makes me believe it's the IDM instead of injectors and I have seen this quite a few times in the last few years. It's the clearing-up after 5-7 seconds that puzzles me though. Usually a bad IDM is bad and it stays bad! I will add that I was fooled by the PCED once with injector codes... I performed all of the tests as per the book ans was led to replace the IDM... long story short, it was the IDM. Go figure! This is one time a test module or a "known good IDM" would come in handy.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this doesent exactly fit your scenario due to the codes but I recently had a truck with sludged injectors, over 100K. Had one dead injector and two that were on their way. This was enough to keep the truck from starting. It seemed to not want to start when warm or during the day but cold starts it did but only after a lot of cranking.

Sorry I wanted to thank you guys for your response but I had some phone line issues that were knocking me off the internet I had to resolve.The customer has not returned with his truck but I was curious if a bad dual mass flywheel could be attributing to this violent shake.I noticed the truck was hard to get in and out of gear when moving around the lot to my bay.Thanx again for your replies.