Self-created problem

Rate this topic

One of the problems with trading good parts to test for bad parts is that all too commonly you create a problem in a perfectly good working vehicle. Many of my fellow Airmen believe that this is a viable way of troubleshooting. Usually they move on to something else and someone else(me)has the priviledge of cleaning up. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

With all that said...In my previous post I mentioned that we swapped HPOP's between vehicles. Neither pump worked in the other vehicle but when returned the vehicle started right up. This is in refrence to the second and good running vehicle. It is now a hard starter. It will take at least 10 seconds of constant cranking to start. I did pull a code of P0542 for the Intake Manifold Heater. I'm running that tree now. Anybody have any thoughts? It make sense that if the intake heater isn't working right it will start hard but this seems more than that.

Also, any thoughts why the HPOP would not work in a different engine?

Musical engine parts, the hazard of working on the governments dollar! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

It is rare for the AIH to turn on.... the conditions must be right (as in very cold) and it isn't used in starting strategy.

While swapping parts in some instances may reduce diagnostic time, once we get into stuff like the HPOP we run the risk of transferring contaminants from one engine to the next.

Back to your HPOP... these can be checked in place much easier than trying a different one. At the very least, you need a capable scan tool and some good documentation. FWIW, if they wont buy you a manual, purchase a DVD on E-bay and then tell your CO that this mans army has resorted to pirated manuals....

90% of the concerns on the 7.3 can be easily diagnosed with a good scan tool, a gauge bar, a manual and a reasonable understanding of how the system works.

I firmly believe that each and every military vehicle has the potential of being a life safety device at any given moment.... those yahoos up the food chain need to realize that you guys need appropriate training and adequate tools so you may do your job with pride and the knowledge you efforts are well spent....

Though I may be a Canadian, I wish you and all your brothers in arms the best holiday possible and a safe and speedy return home.

I got to reading on a couple of different forums that when na injector was replaced the PS may run rough until the air is out of the oil and fuel systems. So, got to thinking that my hard starting problem was air in the systems. I took it out and ran it for a while, that seemed to help. Let it sit over night and the guys said it started up fine (was my day to come in late). So, we'll see how long it takes to come back in as a hard starter.

Yes, you did state that you don't have much experience with these engines. Any time that you open the high pressure oil system in particular, you will need to purge the air that is introduced when the oil spills out by replacing components. Usually, a nice 10-15 minute run down the highway in a lower gear will do the trick. Shutting it down and letting it sit before another good romp around the block also helps. I will also run the engine at 3500 RPM in the lot until most of the smoke clears out. This keeps the local police off my back... I smoked out a 300 foot stretch of the road on a road test once which they apparently thought was dangerous! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif