7.3 hpop

Rate this topic

gmc

I just got my first diesel ticket at work and have ended up putting a hpop on a 2002 f-250. 2 guys in the shop argued on how to do this. one says take off the fuel filter housing,hp reservoir,ebp,the coolant hose in front,and the fan. The one I lisented to said take off the fuel filter housing and ebp. I have it 3/4 done. the guy that said take off the hp reservoir said to do this to make sure the drive gear for the hpop was on right. It seemed to me that you could just feel that its on right(not crooked). I was just wondering what was best in someone elses experience. Thanks for any responses.

Leave the reservoir on. It does not need to come off and you will make an even bigger mess if you do. If the pump shaft is not aligned and inserted into the drive gear you won't be able to get the bolt started. Sounds like you will be fine.

Since you are new to diesel work, I will advise you to use the special Grey silicone sealant specified for use with 7.3L and 6.0L engines. There are chemicals in the other sealants that will react with the additives in the engine oil that reduce foaming. Air in the engine oil will affect performance.

Why am I telling you this? You will need to apply silicone sealant to the pump gear bolt access cover.

thanks. I know about the silicone. I didn't see it to be neccessary to remove the reservoir, but the impression I got from the dude that told me to is he knew what he was talking about. any way I did it the easy way and the truck runs good no leaks.