6.0 EGR DELETE

Rate this topic

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE. IM LOOKING FOR ADVICE FROM ALL OF YOU. I HAVE A CUSTOMER AT HOME THAT WANTS A EGR DELETE KIT PUT ON HIS TRUCK. I HAVE NEVER DONE A EGR DELETE KIT. JUST LOOKING FOR TIPS AND TRICKS ON THIS ONE. MAINLY WANT TO KNOW IF I NEED TO RUN A PROGRAMMER WITH IT TO KEEP THE SERVICE LIGHT

OFF AND IF YOU HAVE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON A GOOD MANUFACTURER. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

Dieseldog:

Welcome to the forum! I'm not too far from you in Strongsville.

You'll likely find the majority of forum members here are not in favor of aftermarket modifications and you might find more help on this topic in one of the public Powerstroke forums. We'll be more than willing to assist you regarding any challenges you face on a day-to-day basis during standard service and repair on these vehicles.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

There's nothing special about an EGR delete kit. The seem to come with instructions written well enough so that even the neanderthals can get the things installed.

The one thing we all need to remember is that every EGR delete kit sold states "For off road use only".

And this is about as gentle as I can get on the subject.

I had a customer request an Egr/cooler delete since I was going to be in there anyway doing cp head gaskets an an oil cooler. He said from everything he has heard on the interwebs, doing so would make his truck more reliable.

My response was:

"yes it will... You know it, I know it, and Ford knows it, but It won't meet emissions standards anymore. As a Ford dealership technician I have to look at the big picture, and honor the vehicle and the way that it was built by Ford, thus I'm unwilling to do anything that will defeat an emissions system. If you want ARP head studs though, I can at least give that modification my blessing."

He actually respected that response a lot, and took me up on the head studs.

If you remember, I am a foreigner that lives in a province with some pretty cavalier vehicle requirements... what the EPA considers as "acceptable" isn't one of my areas of expertise....

Having said that, I sincerely believe that something like an EGR cooler would have to carry an EPA and/or CARB seal of approval to be considered as appropriate for use on public roads.

At the same time, we see many areas that don't sniff tailpipes - instead, they rely an an abscence of codes (particularly the abscence of a P1000) and, perhaps, a visual inspection.

Let's not forget the "programmer detected" code that Ford had in their documentation. As an aside, the IDS is automating more functions... I replaced a PCM this morning and did "As Built" rather than a PMI. IDS asked if I wanted it to access the corporate server and retrieve the files automatically. <POOF> - the marvels of the modern age... I am reasonably sure that when FRED phoned home, he let everyone know whjatever he knew (FRED = fucking ridiculous electronic device)).

Given the principal behind EGR function, I'm unsure if the temperature of the gases is important. In the early to mid 70s (EGR technology was in it's youth ) and even into the 80s, several models of domestic vehicles had EGR coolers on gas engines.

In all honesty, I feel that many techs believe that EGR serves no purpose and fail to understand how the system works... especially regarding the differences between gasoline engine function and diesel engine function.