11b23

Rate this topic

kellyf

I remember those days quite well... We have a lot of 6.4s in our area... some with extended warranty and some not. I haven't had the chance to flash this into my kids truck yet... but it will go there... He's at 250,000 kms and no warranty - advance warning of potential problems will be a good thing...

Where I live, my kids truck isn't the only one over the miles. Once more, from the top (remembering that their Dad isn't a Ford diesel tech) .... I have no warranty left and ever since you flashed my truck the "check money" light has been on.... "What are YOU going to do about it".

The perception will be, of course, that the truck was fault free before the flash and now it is broken. And some of you guys don't appreciate what your SAs go through.

Perhaps this will add some balance to my post.

• 2 weeks later...

My second 11B23 truck is sitting in the bay waiting for a new TCM to replace the one that has lost communication with everything!

I guess I joined that club. Had one die on me first thing yesterday morning.

"Yeah we'll bring that right in. It's just a repgrogram for your computer. Take about 20 minutes and you'll be on your way."

2 hours, a bunch of "testman errors", multiple IDS sessions, and several phone calls later, a new TCM is on its way.

I wonder what it is about this reprogram that is shorting these things out? Becuase from what I can tell, it seems to be a fairly common occurance. Common enough that the second page of the Techincal Info section in the FSA is how to restore a blank module. Which didn't help me one bit anyways.

Starting to see some false codes coming out of this calibration update. Sabotage maybe, they need to maybe check who they have doing these calibrations.

Starting to see some false codes coming out of this calibration update. Sabotage maybe, they need to maybe check who they have doing these calibrations.

Not sure how many saw broadcast message 3157... I wont post it here (give a man a fish and he will eat for a day - teach) because this is something to read while we have our morning coffee....

The whole idea behind the reflash was to find trouble before it gets spendy. That we are going to see more codes generated goes without saying. Personally, I have a problem with the term "false codes" but nuisance codes might be expected as they refine the criteria that triggers a code. Sabotage? Skipping our meds , are we? Posted Image

FWIW, I reflashed my kids truck and the damned thing keeps generating a "false" P0297. Posted Image

We lost a TCM today.

What... is everybody all out of deja vu? Back in 08 I can recall losing a few TCMs during a reprogram... TCM erase procedure would appear to go OK and then the worlds orbit would change. I don't think Ford ever did give us a clear cut answer (other than mentioning vehicle battery voltage and IDS voltage) for the concernns. Just as suddenly as they happened - they stopped

And now they may be back. Why? Dunno... But we do need to interact with Ford if we are to find a solution.

Personally I love the concept of adding additional "monitors" to detect things going out of spec before they go out of order. I much prefer making repairs to an engine over having to remove and replace an engine. But that's just me.

Knock wood, I've never lost a module while reflashing, only remember once having one bail out and have to start the process over.

Can I ask everyone on the board what their experience is in percentage? What percentage overall of reflashes end up with module replacements?

Under 1%?

Under 5%?

Thanks!

Posted Image

Just three here since the origin of the 6.4L. I think it has something to do with being pretty far away and mounted on the frame rail where mucho dirto collects. Hang in the rear bumper and see if the percentage goes up.

As far as false codes go, I would definitely say the code that used to pop up on the 6.0 for the throttle plate when there was no throttle plate, would qualify!

Like everyone else, the number was low but memorable. Maybe a half dozen modules in one year. Just a few percent but it did introduce me to the Ford module version of "shit happens".

No reason to get excited... And yes, restarting module programming is common enough to avoid raised eyebrows - anyone that has endured SYNC reprogramming can attest to that.

No reason to get excited... And yes, restarting module programming is common enough to avoid raised eyebrows - anyone that has endured SYNC reprogramming can attest to that.

What a painful process that is. I've done several, and never had one go through the first time without issue.

I was at Staples office center yesterday and picked up a 4gb flash drive for 20 bucks to put in my toolbox. Who would have ever thunk it.

I have been meaning to do the same. Off the top of your head what flash drive memory size does Ford recommend?

IIRC, the recommendation is 4 Gig. Our shop has a dedicated thumb drive that we keep in a secret hideout with the required cable since the Ford recommendation also states that the thumb drive must be blank.

Having said that, I carry a 16 Gig in my pocket with the coffee table books, various documents, a few hundred favorite songs and a couple of amusing pics, vids and PPSs. I also use it when updating our IDSs (download the update file only once and share it across all the laptops that need it).

FWIW, not much sense in getting picky about thumb drive size since you can generally get a 16 Gig on sale for well under $20.... and that's in CAD.

Got an 8 gig I carry in my pocket. Can easily erase it for use on any updates to sync(just transfer everything to the desktop of my 'puter and then transfer it back when done.

Had an 08 come back after having the 11B23 reflash - wrench light was on, P00B7 in it - coolant flow restriction - followed the pinpoint test(rather quick) and replaced the thermostats. Thought I'd measure just to see as some of my co-workers have been weary about using this flash because "it breaks the trucks". T-stat measured in at 48.03mm, that's 3.03mm hyper-extended. Showed it to several co-workers and told them "the flash doesn't break the truck, it just informs the truck that it's been operating in a broken state, and then prevents it from 'melting down'.

Now I've got a 2011 behind my stall that was in for the 10S14 - needed bcm replacement - ordered bcm, attempted to install - computer read 'callibration failed' ran network test - pcm, tcm, rcm, and a couple other 'standard' modules failed....I'll have to get back into this one on tuesday as this is my 3-day weekend due to having to work next saturday. Luckily it's an unsold lot truck. Posted Image

I put a TCM in today, man I would like to catch up with the idiot that thought the placement and connector style was a good idea. Just 5 minutes alone in a dark ally with a baseball bat and really dull razor. Don't even get me started about the frickin self tappers thru the frame rail.