06 and 07 GMC Duramax with recurring P0102

Rate this topic

We are stuck with the contract for two of these gems. They are prisoner transport vans used for the local superjail. They keep setting P0102 codes. The first time I googled that code and most results led to cleaning or replacing the MAF so I replaced it on the first truck. Cleared code, sent on its way. The other one came in a week later with the same code. I assumed(incorrectly as it turned out)the MAF had fixed the first one, so replaced the MAF on the second one as well. The first one then came back with the same code again, so we sent it to a GM dealer for further diag. They claimed to have smoke tested it and found an air leak downstream of the MAF. I then smoke tested the second one without finding any leaks, so sent it to GM as well. They claimed to have fixed it. I didn't really understand what action on the RO fixed that issue as it had other concerns as well that I couldn't track down. Now, several weeks later, one of them is back with the CEL on and P0102 again. It also has P064C, which googled out to be a glow plug controller code, with a possible recall. Before I send it away AGAIN Posted Image I was wondering if any of you have run into these codes or know what to look for on these. They are the first Duramax diesels I have ever worked on. Thanks in advance. I checked a couple of Duramax websites Posted Imagefor answers but left wishing they were more like this site. Posted Image

From mitchell on demand:

The dtc will set if maf drops below .2v or 1.5g/s for more than 6 seconds. Two consecutive failed trips required to turn on mil. Also says that it stores freeze frame data. Does your scantool have access to that? Could lead you to something? I had an 07 this winter that set this code and had no power, turns out the air filter was full of snow and the maf was all wet.

• 2 weeks later...

One of our Duramaxes had this last september, when i took it for a blast on the highway it had alot of power but you could hear a very slight hissing sound on accelerations and felt like the trans was slipping on heavy accelerations a bit. When i got back to the shop i took apart the air ducts cac tubes etc. to have a look and found on the cac tube going to the throttlebody-on the bottom just a smal portion of the cac hose folded under the clamp and it goes over a sleeve. I resecured all of the hoses. Make sure those cac tubes are very dry where they clamp-intercooler etc. because any little bit of trace oil will make them blow right off from what i've seen. It's been good ever since.

And i think there is some kind of recalibration or something for a glowplug issue, the service manager at the chevy dealer we deal with won't give me specifics on it. We sent one over there for a glow plug dtc issue(warrenty) and all the invoice stated was emmisions recall and that was it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Sorry for the late reply, but we have been extremely busy. I did find the info on the recall for the glow plug controller and one of the two units did have that done. I also was suspecting a possible snow issue plugging the air filter as the air intake comes through the hood. Truck has not come back recently for this issue, so am assuming GM dealer may have fixed it this time, or maybe since winter has become spring, lack of new snowfall may have been the cure. I will update if anything new comes up or problem returns.