Engine Harness Light Show!

Rate this topic

Anyone ever have an Engine Harness go bad on one of these things that caused a cool little 4th of July party underhood? I got an '05 here in the shop with intermittent Cylinder 8 High codes and a PO606, stock tune, and intermittent Cam/Crank codes. Initially it would just start & die according to the customer, but once the truck got to me it started up and ran fine.

I hopped up under the hood and started shifting the wiring harness around in various places, and nearly fell off the truck when I pried up on the harness near the FICM. That little metal tab that holds the harness to one of the intake bolts with the stud on top - yeah, that thing started arcing and sparking like crazy. And yes, the engine started running like garbage while I was doing it, even got it to shut off.

Obviously the harness is toast, so the Engine Harness and Injector harness are getting replaced. What are the odds that the FICM itself took a shot from all of this electrical debauchery?

The customer is really going to get clobbered with the harness replacements as it is, and a new FICM might be a huge problem for them financially. Just looking for the opinions of everyone here Posted Image

Sadly you can't make a for-sure call on this one till you get the 2 harness's in the truck. Typically the PCM and FICM are internally protected against shorts to power and ground.

Oh the joys of fixing powerstrokes.

Dave, I wouldn't give it a second thought. I had the little cover off a FICM the other day checking voltages at the 4 screws and touched the case at the same time. Man did that ever scare the shit outa me. It didn't bother it one bit though, still ran like a champ.