TSB 11-3-23

Rate this topic

lmorris

I was just talking to the hotline and I asked them about the TSB and they said there is a problem with the new programming and they are working to fix it and reissue the TSB ASAP.

The TSB has been officially pulled along with the update. If you have updated IDS in the last few days you will no longer have access to programming the 6.7L. The last update is not performing the way they expected apparently.

If you run OASIS using P164A as a concern code, you will find an SSM dated March 25... sorry, can't remember the number...

Don't know about you guys, but telling the customer "maybe next week" is starting to get old. First on the 4X4 concern and also on the NOx sensor shit... This "great" product launch is starting to run out of steam...

Sorry, Jim, I disagree. I think the launch of the 6.7 has been far smoother than the last several new diesel motors by far. I remember more problems with the 7.3 when it was released in '94 than this one. As far as aftertreatment, you have to expect rollout problems with that and all mfr's are having them, not just FMC. It's new emerging technology, and they haven't worked the bugs out. Be glad it's not base engine problems.

The motor's been out a year, and how many engine or injector failures have we seen? From my perspective this engine is a great success at this point. I hope it holds up.

Posted Image

Bruce, I wish I could share your optimism... but these problems are coming at a time that isn't really 'convenient' (there's a better word but I have writers block-head). Customer confidence in the product can be easily disturbed... especially given the sticker price of modern autos. In the "what's in your bay" thread, there are a couple of problem children I neglected to include - something I'll fix when I get the time, I hope.... One includes a customer with a 2011 F350 - his first Ford in 25 years.

Mechanically, we are in the cat-bird seat.... but time and again we prove that the "software" is a step and a half beyond the capabilities of the hardware. I fondly recall "pilot injection" on the 6.0.

The plunge from 6 volt systems to 12 volt systems was a major breakthrough. Then came transistor radios, alternators, CD ignition and then electronic ignition...

Today, the modern automobile is much like the computer on your desk... by the time you get it unwrapped, it is obsolete.

A smooth launch would be trouble free.... customers don't give a rats ass if the problem is software, hardware or technician driven... My customer is having trouble with a Ford... only a Ford... and, to him, this makes a Dodge, a Chev or any other possibility a viable choice.

I like being busy.. that means it is up to me (and my fellow inmates) to keep Ford customers in a Ford and to attract "brand X" purchasers to the fold.

Yes, the 6.7 launch has been "smoother"... It's a lot like being only a little bit pregnant... right?