Let The Dumbasses Start Rolling In!!!

Rate this topic

Got one here with only 5989 kms. on the ticker. Came in with a "Check Engine" light on. IDS test. P20E8 Reductant Pressure Too Low. Attempt PPT RK dosing test. The pump won't even pump. I notice in the passenger front seat a couple empty jugs of Diesel Kleen CETANE BOOSTER. The story goes, "I was running low, so I went to Canadian Tire to get some ....".

So guys, does anyone have a parts list made up, of everything needed to be replaced in the SCR system? What do you guys charge for a mistake like this? TIA.

Not the first time:

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/forums/ubb...=true#Post34539

He may divulge costs to you privately but I suggest you not discuss it on the forum as it's illegal. (Interpreted as price fixing to discuss fees among competing shops.)

I think this is the biggest mistake on these trucks, to put the DEF filler next to the fuel tank. It belongs under the hood where it might make you think a bit before adding fluids.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

I think this is the biggest mistake on these trucks, to put the DEF filler next to the fuel tank. It belongs under the hood where it might make you think a bit before adding fluids.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

I agree. But another mistake amongst customers is failure to RTFOM, which if I recall correctly was one of the items discussed in the 6.7L class. BTW, the truck in question is a pickup application, using the DOC/SCR/DPF setup. Does that mean the DPF will require replacement too? I don't feel like telling the customer he needs to pony up another $4Gs on top of the parts list so far.

Does that mean the DPF will require replacement too? I don't feel like telling the customer he needs to pony up another $4Gs on top of the parts list so far.

Nah, I wouldn't worry about replacing the DPF, if any additive got through it would likely burn like fuel. He'll probably need a DEF tank assy and maybe the injector, though. The heated line is a big chunk of change from what I remember, too.

Get used to this, we're going to see a LOT of it. I waiting for the first DEF into the fuel tank mistake, Posted Image I'm wondering what FMC will want to do to keep the warranty intact........

Good Luck!

Posted Image

I have had 2 come in that needed DEF pumps.

The first had the white oily substance in it, which we still haven't figured out what it was. It got a complete tank assembly for $1756. BC3Z-5J228-C. We were going to replace the line, but it was on the customer's dime so he declined. $265.00 for the line.

The second received a pump, BC3Z-5L227-D, $1726, thats $30 less than the entire tank if you can believe that. His tank was free of contaminants.

Be carefully ordering these things. We went to order a pump for the first guy. Listing says it changes up to the entire tank. We received just the pump. Did some more reading and found the second part number which was actually the entire tank. Luckily for the second guy we at that point had the pump in stock.

Well folks. Here's what adding CETANE BOOSTER to the DEF tank will do to the appearance of the DEF itself:

Posted Image

For future reference, here's a list of part numbers for the next dumb ass that makes this $5000 mistake:

BC3Z-5J228-C (Tank & Pump Assembly)

BC3Z-5J232-A (Filler Tube Assembly)

BC3Z-5J249-V (Line Assembly)

AL3Z-5J281-A (Injector)

BC3Z-9D378-F (NOx Sensor)

Bear in mind the above list of parts applies to a pickup application, so if you get cab & chassis truck coming in, the list will likely differ.