Coolant flush bay? Worth the money?

Rate this topic

lmorris

We are in the works of getting a new building Posted Image.

The 2nd last oil cooler failure I did I accidently transfered all the flush water into our used oil tank, it froze... Posted Image

This last one I did I transfered it into empty DEF fluid bulk barrels, all 230L of it.

I am curious as to whether to push for a flush bay with a seperate in floor holding tank for these kinds of jobs.

Some input from other techs would be appreciated.

YES! In my two bay truck area I have one lift and one dead bay with a floor drain that is connected to a gray water tank where all of our floors drain into. It gets sucked out every so often. After the initial coolant and whatever else is in the system is disposed of in the proper disposal barrels I usually let water run free when flushing. This is also a great place to degrease engines and chassis whenever that is necessary. Having a dedicated area and drain system may sound un-necessary or a waste of time but it is not in my opinion.

we don't even have drains in the shop upstairs. HUGE hot button of mine. they detail cars downstairs and the cracks in the floor let any water seep through. we're constantly getting bitched at for bringing snow covered cars in or spilling antifreeze on the floor. every time we pull a big truck in you can feel the floor flex a little bit too

we need a new building in the worse way, lease is up in sept so maybe we'll either move out or tear down.