Fuel leak

Rate this topic

Haven't got very far with if yet. My main goal is to get the injector out and have a look see at the head. I am hearing about some pretty horrific stories pertaining to this situation. One guy at the Boston training center had the same thing happen and found 3 other crabs cracked and ready to let go. The injectors shucked around so bad, he had to replace both cylinder heads.

She's gouged up pretty bad in there. It's tough to see due to being number 7 hole. The scoring is right where the o-ring sits. I will try to get better shots when the head is off manana.

She's gouged up pretty bad in there. It's tough to see due to being number 7 hole. The scoring is right where the o-ring sits. I will try to get better shots when the head is off manana.

Let us know how much fun that turns out to be.

I think it's gonna go pretty smooth. Still waiting on parts, so I am working on other stuff at the moment. Parts told me the head was here so I went to get it and almost dropped a hernia when I tried to pick it up. I said "dude this head is all aluminum, why is this box so heavy?" Opened it up and it was a 6.0 liter head. Posted Image

My confidence is pretty high in the parts department at this point. Posted Image

Parts told me the head was here so I went to get it and almost dropped a hernia when I tried to pick it up. I said "dude this head is all aluminum, why is this box so heavy?" Opened it up and it was a 6.0 liter head. Posted Image

My confidence is pretty high in the parts department at this point. Posted Image

Okay WTF?!!!! I can't see how parts would've fucked that up. Don't they look up the parts by VIN in Microcat (which would've identified the exact vehicle)?

If that were me, and I saw the 3C3Z prefix (which IS the prefix for a 6.0L head unless it's the later style 6C3Z )on the box, I wouldn't even have bothered to go and get it in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the job is all done. I think I would do the next one cab off, especially if it involves both heads.

Likes: dowel pins. There are a lot of dowels, where the 6.4 doesn't have enough, the 6.7 makes up for it. The head is doweled obviously, the rockers are pinned, the power steering bracket is pinned, the valve cover is pinned, the exhaust manifold uses studs to the head. It makes reassembly very easy. The workshop manual is very close to what you actually need to do in the real world. One exception is they want you to remove the power steering pump before removing the bracket from the head. That step is definitely a waste of time.

Dislikes: Torquing the head bolts was a serious back breaker. The oil spray bar. The hyper links in the shop manual, you can really get lost in those things and forget what the hell you were doing in the first place. I can shave a couple hours off the next job just by not staring at the puter. There aint too much metal under the hood and everything is kinda delicate. The fuel return line has to be handle with extreme care. The injector sound deadeners are cheesy. I think torque to yield injector bolts are gonna haunt us.

All-in-all I like the overall picture. It is very strange yet neat working on an engine that goes against conventional placement of parts. I like the 6 head bolts per cylinder, we should never have a failed head gasket needing head removal. Unfortunately the injector bolt might screw up the whole deal. Time will tell.

JR Saunders from the Boston training center and myself, believe that the torque to yield bolt was the culprit. The bolt for the broken hold down was finger tight. If the old saying "tight is right" holds true then this was definitely wrong.

I haven't heard anything from Ford. But JR has heard a lot from other techs in the Boston region with the same thing happening and it has been loose bolts every time so far.

JR Saunders from the Boston training center and myself, believe that the torque to yield bolt was the culprit. The bolt for the broken hold down was finger tight. If the old saying "tight is right" holds true then this was definitely wrong.

I haven't heard anything from Ford. But JR has heard a lot from other techs in the Boston region with the same thing happening and it has been loose bolts every time so far.

Ole JR. Everytime I make the trek down there I have him for the instructor. He's a pretty interesting guy, to say the least.

Well, ready for round two. Another 6.7 came in around 5 today with number 5 injector blown out of the head and head scored badly. My parts list will fit the bill perfectly!

Well, ready for round two. Another 6.7 came in around 5 today with number 5 injector blown out of the head and head scored badly. My parts list will fit the bill perfectly!

Haha, gotta love it. Have you decided if you're going to pull the cab or not?

In the second picture, that piece of the hold down is fairly rusted and in the first picture I can see where the injector is too. How many miles are on this truck? I dont think I like the idea of rust being able to buildup between those two components...I wonder how those other injectors look?

• 4 weeks later...

3474 - 6.7L DIESEL - BROKEN INJECTOR HOLD DOWN CLAMP - BUILT BEFORE 6/3/2011

6.7L DIESEL EQUIPPED VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 6/3/2011 MAY EXPERIENCE A LOOSE FUEL INJECTOR DUE TO A BROKEN INJECTOR HOLD DOWN CLAMP. THE SUSPECT INJECTOR HOLD DOWN CLAMPS HAVE BEEN PURGED FROM SERVICE STOCK AND REPLACED WITH CERTIFIED STOCK. CERTIFIED INJECTOR HOLD DOWN CLAMPS ARE MARKED WITH A WHITE PAINT DOT.