Hoping everyone in Slave Lake is O.K.

Rate this topic

DwayneGorniak

I just got the call that Slave Lake is on Fire and it's a bad one. I really hope everyone is O.k. I just saw that S.l Ford is on Fire. I'm just startin to follow the news on it. Don't know what else to say.

I haven't heard from anyone. I tried calling a few of them. I imagine they have allot more things to worry about than talking to me right now. When I first heard about it, I thought it was a joke until I turned on the news. Sounds like half the town is gone and the rest is still burning.

That sucks! I feel horrible for everyone affected, especially the techs. I lost all of my tools about 15 years ago at an indy shop that burnt down. Young and stupid, I had no insurance on my stuff and the owner did not have enough coverage for 3 of us. Could not imagine starting over again.......

Wow! I just saw the 6 o'clock news report. What a disaster! Thankfully they are not reporting any injuries or fatalities. Here's hoping the weather cooperates and makes for a speedy fire-fight.

Like Alex I just caught it on the news and checked here to see if Jim had checked in, hoping eveyone is ok but it sounds bad at the moment.

I have been Googleing this too. There have been many natural disasters for us to watch unfold recently but looking at photos of entire neighborhoods completely reduced to ashes hits home.We have witnessed floods, tornados... it's all the same.

When I heard about the fire on yesterday morning's news, I immediately worried about Jim and Adam and their families. Everyone got out safely, but many fled with just the clothes they were wearing, and what is left to go back to? Even with insurance, it will take years to rebuild everything back to even close to what was there before. People will have lost everything, have no jobs to go back to, etc. What a disaster. My heart goes out to all that are affected. Posted Image

That is why i am hoping to hear from them before too much longer. The entire town did not go up but a significant number of homes were lost, power is out in some places and I think I read the water may not be available at this time. I thought I read that Adam lost everything on Facebook... no word about Jim. I also read that Slave Lake Ford may have survived however there were cars burning and exploding in the lot. Saw some pics of that.

I spent a good hour Googling this last night.

I am impressed with how people are behaving and organizing and helping each other. If I was Canadian I would be proud.

There is a picture of the Ford dealership in todays Toronto Sun. The inventory is nothing but burned out shells, but it doesn't show the building.

I did dig up a phone number to call to check on residents. It is 1-800-565-4483.

On the Facebook page I linked, complete strangers are offering places to stay, places to put up horses and pets, money, clothing, food... Amazing!

So.... I bought a cell modem and have some stories to tell later. Tomorrow I have to drive back to Athabasca to see the insurance guys but we will remain "living" in Westlock for now.

Sounds like it could be another two weeks before we are allowed back in.

I'll write more after the day settles down....