Stepped dowel question.

Rate this topic

Have a 2005 here with the heads off. One head was replaced 3 years ago and is the commonized design with the stepped dowel pins, 19mm block, 20mm head. I am using the 6079 gasket kit with 19mm dowel gaskets and I do not want to open up another kit for one gasket. Has anyone used the 19mm headgaskets with the stepped dowel? All clearences look good. I was planning on putting the dowel in through the gasket from the top, then setting the head on.

if you set the stepped dowels in the head first will they go in far enough to still allow the gasket to lay flat?

if so then i see nothing wrong with that. I would put them on the head first, then set the head on the block just to make sure the dowel step isn't pushing on the gasket anywhere

Posted Image

Never had to fool with that scenario, but it sounds good to me as long as the dowel doesn't put pressure on the gasket where the step portion will be sitting on it.

The step is flush with the head surface, so I figure it would be the same as if it had a 19mm hole. That part of the gasket gets crushed normally, so I don't see any concerns arising from it.

I think the dealer ought to buy you a few lunches for going the extra effort, for sure. We seem to get forgot about when it comes to things like this, esp. when the idea works. Of course I have has some bad ideas they just can't seem to forget about. Posted Image