25 Years

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Today is my 25th anniversary with the Warnock Automotive Group. I need to sit down and think about this. I am feeling all kinds of different things right now...

It's funny that there was a build-up to this and it ended up creeping up on me. A co-worker reminded me yesterday of the anniversary which I had completely forgotten about. To begin with, my entire career to this point has been with this company. It's more than the job. I have made many friends there both co-workers and customers whom I am still in touch with. I met my wife there and I now have a home and a beautiful family. There have been many high points and many low point as well. The last three or four years have severely tested me in several ways, so much so that I am surprised that I have made it to this point with this company. Still, I persevere. Now I am facing the sale of the company and the uncertainty that brings. On one hand I am mourning the end of entity that has been my life for the last 25 years. I am very nervous as to where I will be and what I will be doing in the future. I am financially on the edge of holding everything together like so many people are now. On the other hand I have decided to stay put and see how this all shakes down.

So the company has been sold. The deal is close to being closed and there are all questions and no official answers as to who the new owners are and what the future holds for us. We have a lot of rumored information that various employees have gathered from the outside so we do in fact know the "who" and "what" to some extent. The (un-official) new owner is the Beyer Brothers Corp. which has been in business for nearly 100 years as a medium and heavy truck dealer group with an excellent reputation. Bringing Ford into their lineup looks like a smart move. Our Ford and Fleet operation will undoubtedly be in good hands. I am keeping my fingers crossed. The potential for growth and opportunity looks very good.

This was supposed to be about my 25th anniversary. 25 is a career. It's a huge milestone. Some people would change careers at this point or long before. Some people would change employers and a lot of techs do... some yearly. I have options, my FSE tells me I could go anywhere and land a job. I have a couple of offers standing - both not very attractive. I have a short list of dealers I would like to apply to if I was forced to do such a thing. I have no desire to make any move yet I feel trapped by my career, my finances and the uncertainty of the future. All I can do is hold on at the moment. I always thought this milestone would be a much happier one...

I apologize for bothering you guys with this but I needed to write it out in hopes to start sorting it out. If you made it this far, I sincerely thank you for listening. Posted Image

I'm approaching only my 9th anniversary with my employer... this is my version of a long term employment relationship.

Like a mature marriage, 25 years with the same "anyone" is cause for celebration of a sorts. One cannot expect the entire 25 years to be without it's ups and downs....

Introspection, navel gazing... whatever you choose to call it is going to be a natural state of affairs... The armchair philosopher in me tells me that disappointment or frustration or the feeling that you thought you'd be in a different situation than the one you find is going to be normal... unless, of course, your job turned out to be the equivalent of winning the lottery.

I have found that merely being doomed to being a human being is cause enough for disappointment.

Cheer up, Kieth... things are never so bad that they can't get worse...

Just think, you could have that "in the toilet" attitude like so many on FRT.

FWIW, I turned 61 the other day... 61.... I'm not doing it gracefully... I'm not where I thought I would be... But at least I'm still on the sunny side of the grass. The fire didn't get me and the near flood didn't get me.

Kieth, the feelings you are having are normal feelings... I think we all have them at some point in time... how we deal with them is what makes the difference.

I been putting one foot in front of the other for over 60 years... I don't see any reason to change now...

Keith you've been with one company longer than I have been alive. Posted Image

I've been with the same company for 5 years now. started out at the lincoln store, now at the ford store, its the only place I've ever been so far. No idea what else is out there

one tech I'm friends who has 1 year less experience than me has been to 4 different places now, trying to go to #5 as we speak. how does that saying go? same grass, different field

Kieth, the feelings you are having are normal feelings... I think we all have them at some point in time... how we deal with them is what makes the difference.

Ya know what it is Jim? It's the MIXED feelings I have that has me bothered. I know how strong that store once was, I know how hard I worked over the years and to see the current owner let it decline over the last few years just escapes me. I don't get it. He is one year younger than me and inherited the company along with his sister and I think to myself "if I only had that opportunity.

But opportunity is what I see coming with the new owners. I am being optimistic. It's just been really rough.

Originally Posted By: Matt_Saunoras
Keith you've been with one company longer than I have been alive.

Awww kick a guy when he's feelin a little down... Posted Image

I only have 11 years invested in my employer, yet I feel I am in the same boat as Keith. The corporation I work for sold out to a privately held investment firm. The future is uncertain and I have had offers from a couple local ford dealers but at this point,I feel compelled to hold on and see what the future brings. I am also in the group of folks barely keeping everything together as far as finances go....Good Luck to you Keith....

Keith,

I deal with Beyer Brothers at my shop on a weekly basis, they're a good company and the techs i've talked to over there seem to be happy. Congrats on the 25 yr anniversary. Through the good and the bad, you gained a shit ton of experience you get to pass on to greenies like Danny and myself. Hopefully all will be well at Warnock...Id hate to have to bring my buses to someone else when I cant figure them out lol.

Thanx for the vote of confidence. The sale on the "ship" has been delayed again. I am just waiting for the page to turn. I too have heard good things about Beyer Bros. and they will likely be expanding on the commercial and fleet end of the business. Good for me. Despite all this, there is a lot for me to be worried about but that is just how I am. When you have a home to pay for and little kids to provide for, changes like these keep you awake at night.

...still not one fucking word of recognition from the current management. BEH! Posted Image

...still not one fucking word of recognition from the current management. BEH! Posted Image

Not to be a douche, but you got 25 years of paychecks.. What other recognition do you need?

That actually is pretty douchey. A hand shake or an atta-boy is not asking for much at all. That means more to me than anything they have done for me over the years. I EARN my paychecks. If you consider your paychecks a gift then you have a strange way of looking at things. I take great pride in my career and my accomplishments. It's not ALL about the money.

Originally Posted By: Keith Browning

Not to be a douche, but you got 25 years of paychecks.. What other recognition do you need?

I agree with keith that that is a pretty shit way of looking at it. Yes being thankful for having a steady job for that long is a great thing but I would expect an employee that values their employees espessially long term ones at least reconize them for it. I wouldnt expect anything but a thankyou and a handshake from my boss and maybe dealer principle. Its the thought that counts not any "gift" they may or may not give you.

Im standing at my 5 year mark pretty quick and going on 12yr as a tech.

I EARN my paychecks. If you consider your paychecks a gift then you have a strange way of looking at things. I take great pride in my career and my accomplishments.

There's no dispute about earning or being given a paycheck. I do not consider compensation a gift; I earn every cent of mine. I, to, am proud of the work I do.

However, I am not disillusioned into thinking that my employer cares about me beyond the dollars I earn. If they find someone else to do my job, they would terminate me. If I find a better position elsewhere, I would leave. There is no other connection here.

And I wouldn't have it any other way. I used to believe that the employer/employee relationship went beyond the surface, especially after many years together. But I've been shown before from other employers that this is not true. I'm sure we all can cite examples of where our employers have screwed us. I've had my fair share of promises and assurances broken.

During the recession a couple of years ago, our area was affected. We used to have a monthly catered lunch, and a yearly Christmas party. There were even some deep sea fishing excursions. This extraneous crap was cut out to save expenses.

And I couldn't be happier about it. It refocused us onto our core reason for being here - work.

I don't participate in the mundane squabbles in the office. I don't get involved with management drama. I get along well with the people I work with, but I am not friends with the ones whom I only have work in common with. I clock in, get to work, clock out and go home. At work I am 100% work. One I roll off the premises, I am 0% work.

So, if I make it to twenty-five years with this employer, I will not expect or welcome any recognition. I know that I am cynical. It works for me.

Originally Posted By: Keith Browning
It's not ALL about the money

Yes it is.

Today is my 28th anniversary with this place. I can see where you're coming from Keith, on my 25th I thought I would here something but I wasn't surprised when nothing happened either. I aggree with Greg in that we are just money to them and vise versa we are only here for a paycheck. I love what I do here and take pride in my work and value my relationships with fellow employees and customers but if I won the big lottery tommorrow I would be loading up my tools.

The shop at a dealership is a necessary evil as far as the owners are concerned. We are peons to them. Case in point - we have had four mechanics since I've been here that have retired after 35-45 years of service and they got nothing from upper managment. Our shop foreman that has been here for over 45 years and is one of the best mechanics I have worked with was told one day not to come in tommorrow we don't need you anymore and that was it. In comparison we had a salesman retire after 30 years and he got a big party at a country club.

I just do my 8-5 and go home and don't think about work untill I'm on my way into work the next morning.

I left that shity company that i was at for just over 3 years. I know if i stayed there i would have went nuts or wound up in a wheelchair or something. I cared about my job and got a small amount of combacks and they did'nt give a damn, the first manager and his replacement pushed me to injury. I just came in one saturday, handed in my keys and loaded up my boxes and took off. Now i work for me. You guys should do the same if your not happy about your work conditions or uncertain about your job security/raises etc. Just do it. You guys got major skills and if you leave then their loss. Who cares. Open your own shops and be your own bosses. Let your tools work for you.