2008 F450 Radio Backlight Flicker

Rate this topic

I have a awesome one here that has been giving me the run around. I replaced the radio a few weeks ago for the typical 6 disc cd player malfunction and now its back with the radio backlight flickering when the headlights are on. Now I do not know if this was something new or was present before the last radio repair. This only happens when the headlights are on(no auto lamps) and the dimmer switch is partially dim. If its full bright or full dim they do not flicker.

At first getting a little brave and doing what we all do I assumed that the replacement radio I installed was crap, hey it wouldnt be the first time. I ordered and slammed a new one in, oops. That didnt fix it, better diag this. Anyway I have swapped SJBs and dimmer switchs per hotline, no change. I think I am going to swap another radio just to rule out the chance of getting the wrong radio in the first place(the second was ordered off the last part number we put in the first time)

Anyone had anything similar? Any issues with wiring behind the dash I should be aware of? As much as I hate it next step is to get the ol headlight bulb test light out....

should I mention its less then 200miles before 3/36 is up? Posted Image

Did you program as-built data into the new audio unit? the backlights tend to do some funny things when they haven't been programmed (this is necessary since these audio units fit many different models that require the backlighting to perform differently).

Josh, No I never programed as built into the ACM, I have never actually done so with the ACM, I just swapped out a radio on a 2011 and all was well. Then again I was not looking for backlighting issues on it either. I will attempt to do so and go from there

entering As Built fixed it, I did the PMI install on it when I replaced it however obviously that didnt do crap to bring the old info into the new module....Would have been nice if hotline could have mentioned that rather then sending me on a wild goose chase playing musical module swap!

Thanks again Josh for the mention of AS built!