VW DPF

Rate this topic

Alex Bruene

Okay, this is a little off topic from our normal vehicles. I have recently picked up a 2010 VW Jetta TDI. I got it for an insanely good deal because it has pretty high mileage for the model year... 150,000 km. All the reading that I've been doing on this vehicle (both before and after I bought it) states the DPF needs to be changed at or around 200,000 km. I can't seem to find anybody that cleans VW DPFs. I was wondering if anybody else may have heard of anybody that does VW DPF cleaning. Thanks.

Welcome to DTS! You'll find a lot of help here from very well seasoned technicians, and there's a lot of Canadians here, too. Just watch out for Grandpa, he bites. Posted Image

Alex is requesting where to have a maintenance cleaning of his DPF performed, not unclog a coked or face plugged unit. He needs a standard (cold) cleaning to remove normal accumulations of ash, which would be an air pulse style unit done cold. If it were clogged with combustible coke/carbon deposits it would need to be baked in an oven, but this is not his case.

In my travels I have found places to clean and bake MD/HD units, but rarely to fit auto/LD units. Usually car/LDs are sealed in some kind of screwy housing not meant to be serviced, like the 6.7's one piece nightmare. MD/HD units are all made to be serviced on a regular basis, cars and LDs are not. Bummer.

I just inspected a brand new DPF cleaner at the City of Lakewood today, which makes three that I know of in the Cleveland area. They have it hooked up and ready to go and are waiting for the company to come out and demo it for them. I should be present when this is done with camera in hand. Oddly enough, none of them are set up for doing retail service, only their own fleets, and at least two of them were funded with EPA money!

IH has a "DPF cleaner locater map" on their website, with the next closest cleaner in Youngstown.

Who knows of DPF cleaners near them?

Posted Image

Keith: IH shows none in Joisey, but 3 in NY: BERGEN NY (585) 494-0140 DAVID WARREN

REGIONAL INTL CORP 790261 - 000 1007 LEHIGH STATION RD HENRIETTA NY 1007 LEHIGH STATION RD HENRIETTA NY (585) 359-2011 WAYNE WARNER

STADIUM INTL S & S, LLC 815845 - 000 P.O. BOX 2848 SYRACUSE NY 105 7TH NORTH STREET LIVERPOOL NY

Cummin's West, the other local Cummin's/Allison dealer does ours($500.00 each), our shop foreman gave our SM a price on getting a cleaner for us (we are a Ford, Isuzu, Cummin's, Hino, UD, Allison Dealer)

Bruce, you're right about the screwy housing. Luckily, this vehicle has spent it's entire life on the highway, so I'm hoping to get far more that the expected life out of this DPF. I wonder if a "shaker" would work to clean it...

I wonder if a "shaker" would work to clean it...

What's a shaker?

Keef posted a pic of cleaning a DPF in the backyard years ago but I can't find it.

If it were mine I'd be doing it on the cheap for maintenance.

Posted Image

Originally Posted By: AlexBruene

I wonder if a "shaker" would work to clean it...

What's a shaker?

Keef posted a pic of cleaning a DPF in the backyard years ago but I can't find it.

If it were mine I'd be doing it on the cheap for maintenance.

:grin:

The picture was Gym's if I am not mistaken, here it is... dubbed the "Mexican Regen"

Posted Image