Rant time *face palm*

Rate this topic

Brad Clayton

I will never be able to get my shop straightened out. I have actually known this for some time but it really hit home today. I finally realized that the kid sweeping the floors and shuttling customers around makes 33.3% more than the kid changing oil. That’s no small number. That number is HUGE!!!

What kind of fucked up logic does it take to run a shop where you pay the guy that just has to show up with a smile on his face more than the guy that has to have a skill set? Let’s take a lookey lou at this, shall we? The clean up kid: washes all the cars after they are worked on, takes people home, goes and gets breakfast for the bosses, dumps the trash, ect. No outside commitment is required, no training, no spending hard earned money on tools and what not.

The oil change kid: Doe oil changes, tire rotations, fixes flats, installs tires, state inspections, batteries, fuel filters, and so-on. He must have and buy his own tools; he must train himself and find out capacities and fluid types, torque specs, ect. He even knows how to use the IDS to pull codes and program keys. Not sure how he picked that up Posted Image .

Pardon my rant but I am just dumb founded by this shop practice. It tells me that the techs are thought of as a dime a dozen and any job we do no matter how tough it is to handle or how perfect it turns out is not appreciated. I really hope other shops don’t partake in this ridiculousness. Posted Image

Maybe Keith should start a new column in the Forums called "The Water Boiler".

I must say: That is quite the messed up logic and a great way for a business to have a revolving door. Who is the Clean up kid blowing?

Seriously, you're preaching to the choir. I'm embarrassed to admit I was making 15/hr up until I said enough, I'm done

That's flat rate too, it's not like I was cleaning house making 60hrs/week either. This was trans and diesel constantly. There is no gravy where I work

I finally get paid a fair wage(over 33% increase) but it took me finding another job before they owned up and decided to pay what I've been worth.

This business is truely fucked up. I am a recent asset grad and I can honestly see why no one wants to put up with this. Believe me, I am very soured over the situation

I totally agree and one of the biggest reasons I want to get out now while I still can before its too late. Its really sad what this industry has become and I now relize what that grumpy old tech was telling me 12 years ago when I started at a dealer.

Just recently we had a well known "hack" come to work for us for more money then anyone in the shop. seriously his bay is a revolving door, hell most of the time they dont even get out of his bay in the first place. somehow he manged to sweet talk a top wage higher then any tech has ever been paid flatrate. I pride myself in being the best of the best and making sure I do my job correctly yet we let guys like this come rolling in and bend over backwards for them??? whats the logic?

It seems managers become enamored by guys that claim to be high producers... high hours per week. It almost always comes with a high price to pay in the end... poor quality work, theft, game playing within the ranks. I have seen a few of these guys over the years. They are never worth hiring never mind the money they get paid.

Brad, did you forget why I left? That shop is a joke. I was always busy, doing jobs well outside my pay grade(13.00)and never could make any money, funny how that works. While lazy comeback kings take home all the bacon. After 3 years of sevice, enough was enough.

It seems managers become enamored by guys that claim to be high producers... high hours per week. It almost always comes with a high price to pay in the end... poor quality work, theft, game playing within the ranks. I have seen a few of these guys over the years. They are never worth hiring never mind the money they get paid.

The best part to that is the particular tech Im thinking of runs a side buiness out of his house repairing diesels. conflict of interest anyone???

Brad,

when I was at the GM dealer a long, long time ago, we had a lot guy, who'd been doing just that for 20 years, making $30/hr. He was making considerably more than a few of the A techs in the shop at the time. This was in 1990.

Where I work now, our local Ford store we get our parts from, has 2 parts drivers, one an older guy, hugely fat, lazy and a prick, who makes $27/hr. The other parts driver makes about $10 and needs the job just for the health benefits. The second driver will bend over backwards to pull his Windstar up to the bay with heavy parts or offer to bring them to you. The first guy backs right up to the building and throws the parts out, which works great for brand new brake rotors, and he won't take returns or do core credits.

Both of the high amounts are ones that have been in the local U for 20 yrs or better.

It amazes me there's no salary caps for particular jobs.