Extension tip on 5.4 3v spark plug

Rate this topic

sixturbosix

Anyone had any extention tips stay in the head when you take out a plug.Ford engineeer told me they were aware of problem and for time being they will pay the dealer under warranty to do a BG or simillar decarbon service before taking out these plugs even if you only take out one.Finally got it out with large easy out.Carbon builds up around it and it almost knurls itself in.Hotline told me to pull the head off under warranty to get it out.I knew there had to be a way around that.

• 3 weeks later...

That's a switch! Usually the spark plugs fly out of these engines on their own. Replaced quite a few cylinder heads myself. I was watching the FordStar broadcast during lunch on the 3-valve engine and setting up the cams and the chains. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif e-eeeesh! Thanx for the warning. I don't want to have to pull one of those apart if I can help it.

Finally got it out the next day with a can of air intake cleaner to desolve carbon around it and a self modified easy out that one of our other techs bought at a yard sale.When Ford saw that we didn't have to take the head off they called desperate to find out how we got it out.The other tech told him it was a tool he bought for 20 cent at a yard sale and he would gladly trade it to them for a PDS diagnostic kit with VCM scince it would save them that much money on warranty claims.They turned him down laughing.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

the only problem with the tool it only works if no porclin was left behind. I found using a long punch you can actually chip away at the porclain and blow it out. But don't hammer on it to hard or you'll knock the porclin down in the head. I learned that real quick.