vc 11 cooling system cleaner

Rate this topic

Does anyone know if this stuff works as good as simple green?

The parts guys tells me that this is what ford wants us to use when flushing oil out of a cooling system but I can not find any info on what it is used for.

Honestly I have never heard of VC-11. It's not in any cooling system flush procedure I looked at. For gas they list VC-1. For diesel VC-9 Iron cleaner. The TSB for 6.4L contamination flush lists simple green. The WSM for 6.7L instructs to use hot water only then VC-9, for oil contamination.

Simple green simply is the best way to go.

Me either... Google provides many links to sources that show VC11 as being antifreeze but little additional information. And the more time I spend thinking about this the more I think I have never heard of VC-11

When it comes to the diesels, the only products I know that Ford recommends using is VC-9 Iron Cleaner to clean the metals in the system and Simple Green to de-grease the system in instances of oil contamination.

So I tried to put together a list of the "VC" products we use. Some are either obsolete or are variations like container size. Also keep in mind there are different, variations if you will, of some of these numbers which denote usage and regional applications like Canada for example.

[*]VC-1 Cooling System Cleaner and Oxidation Neutralizer

[*]VC-2 Specialty Orange Engine Coolant

[*]VC-3 Specialty Orange Engine Coolant with Bittering Agent

[*]VC-4 Premium Green Engine Coolant

[*]VC-5 Premium Green Engine Coolant with Bittering Agent

[*]VC-6 Cooling System Stop Leak Pellets

[*]VC-7 Premium Gold Engine Coolant with Bittering Agent

[*]VC-8 Diesel Cooling System Additive for Green and Gold coolants

[*]VC-9 Engine Cooling System Iron Cleaner

[*]VC-10 Specialty Green Engine Coolant with Bittering Agent

[*]VC-11 Posted Image

[*]VC-12 Specialty Orange Engine Coolant Revitalizer

If any of this is wrong please point out which one and provide a description. I don't have any more time to look this stuff up right now.

Have you contacted Tech Service about the issue? Since when does a parts persons opinion over rule the Service Dept on what to use in repair processes?

Good point but at least it looks like there is some dialog between Steve and his parts department. If they both learn something here it is a good thing. Posted Image

If my parts guys give bad info or advice to parts customers over the front counter then the whole dealership and probably the "dealership body" as a whole looks bad. If his parts guy it telling him to use something that does not exist or is not the correct product for a particular purpose then they need to figure this out together. Posted Image

Personally, I now prefer my parts guys come to me with this stuff as I can catch shit like this. Posted Image

I agree. The Parts Dept should consult with Service before they jump to conclusions. It is a better situation for the whole dealership. At S.L. Ford, Terry, the back parts counter guy who knew his shit big time would allways consult with service. He is damned proffesional about what he does. Ernie at Fourlane Ford was the same way. My point being that there are some really good parts guys out there and then there are some some real shit heads who don't know their ass from a whole in the ground.

Pfft....out parts department tries to push us around all the time. Especially when it comes to using old parts versus new released stuff, such as stainless manifold fasteners, intake bolts with black rubbers instead of green rubbers, and so-on. It's always a fight that I could do with out.

Another thing they like to do is leave extra quanities on the ticket or parts that were oredered that I did not request. I bring the new part back and they say they are leaving it on the ticket. I say go ahead. It always sorts itself out when the advisor is wondering why the bill is 300 bucks over and beyond.

Well me and the parts guy found were vc-11 is from. It is what was used in 09m04 recall to clean the cooling system when it had a plugged heater core. The parts guy is I good guy he just got his info on vc-11 from a bad source. He has sent an email the parts hotline to see if we can get more info on how this product work's and what it can be used for.