v10's pinging

Rate this topic

captchas

over in fte in the v10 area i have 2 men with 2003 s/d's v10 auto tranies that are pinging at rpms of 3k and higher. even on 91 octan.no faults in either. and their dealers are blowing them away. both are low miles motors under 50k, any one with any good ideas?

that can help

thanks to all

a p.s.

these trucks are also useing oil and have the the pcv routed different then the hynes manual. pcv on the right cover and go to behind the t.b. and left side to before. the book shows left to behind and right to before, could the book be wrong or is there a valve cover bad or in need of a mod like the 3.8 v6.

any thoughts?

Hey Chas,

I don't get over to the FTE web site much anymore because it's hard to find the substance amidst all of the advertising. I'm all for making a buck but for crying out loud!

Any way, I don't get to play with too many gassers these days but I am curious about this oil consumption you are reporting and the PCV modification. Am I that far out of the loop with the gas trucks? LOL

Pinging - running lean - I found nothing posted as far ad SSM's or TSB's that look like what you describe. This is typically a result of low fuel pressure or unmetered air.

I have seen a few 5.4L with low power concerns that were traced to the fuel pump pick-up sock being too fine and clogging.

Contaminated MAF sensors.

I also see around the shop a lot of intake manifold seals being replaced for lean codes on V-6's and 4.6's in the non Super Duty Trucks. Sorry I have nothing definitive for you but those are a few things to look at - did I mention we sell 95% diesels? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

• 3 weeks later...

thanks keith

sorry for not posting back faster..i'll get the guys to try those items.

i'm getting ready for spine surgery and have been running around with testing before it.

95% psd's darn don't people know how good this v10 is? i can light my tires as easy as them with only a $600.00 option.

if you get a chance check out my fte gallery. this is one rocking v10.

dose ford sell insurance for my premature tire wear problem. tiresmokeitis from leadfootitis

Charlie, Good luck with the operation. I do hope it comes out well for you. Please let us know how you make out when you recover and come home. I know a couple of guys that have has serious back problems and I certainly feel for ya.

• 2 months later...

hello chas,

I have been a ford tech for 20 yrs.and own a 99 E-350 V-10,i have to say this has been one of the best engines ford ever made.i had the pinging

trouble twice so far,the first time it was contamination of the maf.cleaning the maf is a routine maintenance item specially w/ k&n.The second repair came after the engine was 58k and

i found an oily intake tube the culpret being an unseated pcv valve in the right valve cover.

sorry about the delayed repost.i've been in and out of the hospital so much lately they have a room with my name on the door now. and i still have 6 more trips comeing up.

gues thats what turning wrenches for 42 years gives you.a worn out body.and brains. now wheres mine i put them down some where and can't remember where.

yes thank you alex intake seals seem to be a good place for them to start. i see a lot of black plastic behind my dealer. might just be a hint.