2011 F-150 remote start install

Rate this topic

2011 F-150 remote start installation

This kit is a “plug and play” set up and all though it is not as easy as a Super-Duty, it’s still very straight forward. This is the kit and it only comes with one remote and no hood switch. Please verify that the truck is equipped with a factory hood switch before ordering this kit. I would suggest having a hood switch on the parts shelf along with extra remotes.

Posted Image

The install requires a few panels to be removed including: right A-pillar trim to run the antenna wire, the glove box must be dropped down, and the right side dash cover where the defroster duct goes into the door panel.

Posted Image

This truck had quite a bit of stuff attached to the windshield under the mirror. I opted to put the antenna here and did a test fit to ensure it did not interfere with the trim panel.

Posted Image

The wiring gets run down to the dash.

Posted Image

That takes care of the most difficult part of the whole install.

Posted Image

This is the TPMS module and it is located behind the glove box and accessed through the side of the dash after removing the side defroster cover. The TPMS has two connector cavities and the new harness will piggy back the black connector and the gray cavity will be filled with the new remote start harness and secondary antenna module.

Posted Image

“plug and play” This is the factory TPMS connector being plugged into the piggy back harness.

Posted Image

This is the second antenna of the remote start module system and it goes right above the glove box opening. I bolt it in instead of using zip-ties.

Posted Image

Red arrow shows the connector going to TPMS module and green arrow goes to the antenna glued to the windshield, very simple setup.

Posted Image

I tie the module to the bracket above the heater box.

Posted Image

View from the end of the dash.

Posted Image

The only harness that has extra long wiring is the antenna on the windshield. The slack gets bundled up and tied out of the way.

Posted Image

The installation is complete and now it’s time to enable the system using the IDS.

Posted Image

After hitting the tick button on the above screen this screen will appear.

Posted Image

Now go to the cluster and verify the vehicle accepted the enabling process.

Posted Image

The system is pretty advanced and can automatically control the HVAC system if setup using the instrument cluster.

Posted Image

That completes the install and the remote is all ready programmed and ready to go out of the box. Total install time=less than an hour.

I blanked an 11 the other day trying to do a simple reprogram on the PCM. Somehow I got it back though

It booted me out, no previous session in history, had to manually enter the vin, tear tag, axle size, tire size, options, etc to get it to go.

We have been informed by the Rotundra guys to not do these with the current R75 version of IDS because they are causing issues and blanking modules.

Gotta love technology, one minute it's great, then the next it sucks, and....oh wait, it's great again.

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, you can slip the wire behind the a-pillar trim without removing it... Making the IDS connection the most time consuming part of the whole job. We get 1.5 for this starter, and nobody has caught on.