damaged engine /fuel leak.

Rate this topic

Has any one seen damaged engine from fuel leak? Tech in our shop replaced a high pressure fuel pump for a dtc of poo88. Test drove after replacing pump and reset dtc.Removed and replaced frp sensor, and test drove. when he got back truck was smoking black out of exhaust. checked oil and was extreemly overfilled. found leak at frp sensor. tightened sensor and changed oil, was knocking and lack power. run relative compression test and low on cyl 3,5,7. performed manual compression test, and was 240 on those cylinders. he is going to remove head in morning

Quote:
Has any one seen damaged engine from fuel leak?

One of the leading culprits of catastrophic engine failure on these. Make sure to check the charge air cooler out. It will be completely full of a oily/diesel fluid mixture if the engine shortened a few rods due to a fuel leak into the crankcase.

• 1 month later...

I have one here with overfull crankcase, broken #1 exhaust rocker and broken #1 intake pushrod, valves are not stuck. I have to remove the head to retreive half of the broken pushrod. Hotline wants me to do the fuel leak tests first because they say that is the cause of the valve train components.

Here is my issue: Do I fix the valve train first, leaving the pushrod piece done in the lifter gallery, and run the leak tests, then remove the cylinder head? At this point I don't know if the piston is damaged. If it is and I need a short block, Ford is going to want results of the leak test. You know they are going to be sticky about paying for removing things twice.

Not quite sure of the best way to tackle this one.

I have one here with overfull crankcase, broken #1 exhaust rocker and broken #1 intake pushrod, valves are not stuck. I have to remove the head to retreive half of the broken pushrod. Hotline wants me to do the fuel leak tests first because they say that is the cause of the valve train components.

Here is my issue: Do I fix the valve train first, leaving the pushrod piece done in the lifter gallery, and run the leak tests, then remove the cylinder head? At this point I don't know if the piston is damaged. If it is and I need a short block, Ford is going to want results of the leak test. You know they are going to be sticky about paying for removing things twice.

Not quite sure of the best way to tackle this one.

Call your FSE and get him involved if you want to get paid. I am sure both you and Ford want this thing fixed right but you and I both know YOU will take it in the shorts if someone from Ford does not physically get their hands on the truck. Posted Image

Also, what calibration does this truck have installed??? The current calibrations were designed and intended to prevent this type of failure. It will be interesting to see how Ford handles this type of repair after March 2012 when FSA 11B23 expires.

I have the ok to retrieve all pieces first before further testing. It does not have the 11b23 update, unfortunately.

Also had another come in on friday for the recall and excessive smoke. Turned out it had 27L of oil/fuel in it. Performed the update and changed his oil. It's coming back on wednesday for further diagnosis. They seem to be coming in in waves now. Thats 3 on the go.