2004 egr throttle plate

Rate this topic

Working on a 2004 f350 that lacks power on accel,will p0488 in memory. Removed intake elbow and on acceleration in service bay I can watch butterfly close almost completly and engine boggs down. If I unplug egrtp truck runs great. Customer recently replaced turbo, egr valve, and ficm.My question is does he leave it unpluged and drive it or spend 665.00 on new plate. Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Truckis in good condition with 184,000.

Input or advice? You diagnosed the concern and the truck needs an EGR throttle Assembly. The customer either wants to replace or he doesn't. His call right? Unplugging it will correct the immediate concern but I imagine the check engine light may be on as a result and there may be driveability concerns as a result.

Is the butterfly being commanded closed or is airflow closing it? I'd look at IDS pids for command and figure out why it's closing. Maybe replacing the plate assy would not fix your concern....

Does it have the latest flash? Have there been any relative parts replaced lately like PCM or throttle? I'm trying to figure out why the PCM would close the TP all the way.

Posted Image

I have seen a few do that. The sensor is biased, commanded wants to see a certain %, but the egrtp never changes so the valve closes all the way. You should see what this does on a truck with the egr blocked off. Ever heard a 6.0l backfire?

I also removed the plate from the shaft and all was well. Didnt see the point in having a functioneng egr tp when the customer (hd mechanic) has his egr cooler blocked.