95 Powerstroke P1211, MIL/Power Loss

Rate this topic

I searched my code on the forum and came up with a few posts about the code but seems to be multiple symptoms, none of which are mine Posted Image

95 F250 7.3 Powerstroke, 200K miles on it.

Got a work order today and per usual, tons of info. It said, and I quote, "Wont Start". So I go out, hit the key, she fires right up. Take it for a rip, truck runs great, nice and smooth, nice power (for an older 7.3). Pull it in the shop, shut er down, let it sit for a bit, and it's a no start hot. Go through and diag a faulty IPR valve. Swap valves out, go on my road test, and hit a snag. When I laid into the truck the MIL kicked on and it lost power. Pulled over and restarted the truck, it ran fine until I laid into it again. Same deal, very repeatable. Came in, pulled a P1211 out. Checking the truck out with the NGS on another road test, at WOT, IPR is 54% with ICP between 700-800PSI. Hot Idle this thing is hanging around 20-21% IPR, which I think is way out of line, correct? When I drove this truck to get it hot for it to produce the no start, it ran real good, think I'm just looking at a junk IPR valve here?

2 "old" trucks in a row, I'm loosin my mind!

Thanks guys,

Brandon

IPR should be 9-11% at a hot idle. On these older 7.3s when I see HP oil problems I always suggest to start with base oil pressure, tap it at the reservoir plug on top and go for a ride to get the engine good and hot. This one sounds like a classic case of HPOP oil starvation. Start with the a LPOP check and let us know what you find.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

Reading back over my message, I forgot to mention that the No Start Hot was resolved with the new IPR valve, but now the P1211 and the loss of power after the MIL light on cropped up.

Thanks again!

Brandon

Dagg Nabbit. I guess that would be Bruce. I didn't even look at the name. Just saw the DTS symbol and assumed. I still have a tendency to do the flat rate reading thing. I still have a hard time getting that out of me. I need to slow down and maybe relax a little more while I'm reading. Posted Image Maybe I can learn to perfect it like Posted Image

Blittel500: you did say that you had around 800psi ICP at WOT. Was that after or before the IPR?