Crank, Start & Stall

Rate this topic

Scratching my head on a 2008 6.4L that will crank, fire and immediately stall. It seems to have started at the onset of the colder weather. Starts normal the rest of the day.

No DTCs, I followed the symptom chart in the PCED - nothing found with fuel, intake, exhaust, EGR, glow plugs... the only thing I found out of line was battery voltage was dropping well below 8 volts when starting.

I tested the batteries, one was bad so it got 2 new batteries. I reset the pump and injector tables as well. Truck still stalled right after so I went for another ride and all seemed to be good. Parked it and tried it 3 more mornings with no stalling. I am not sure it's fixed...

Any similar experiences or thoughts?

Kinda sounds like a fuel system concern, aerated fuel or drainback of some sort. Did you check FP?

I like pulling a return line and checking return flow. You can have good FP but no return flow and air bubbles will not be flushed/washed back through the return line to the pump/tank.

Could also be fuel gelling if the quality is crap. Drain a sample and put it in the shop freezer for a few hours and see what it looks like.

Just thinking out loud....

Posted Image

It does sound like a fuel problem... step into the WAYBAC machine to the 7.3L idi days and it is similar. But I would expect consistency. And when I mentioned "cold" I meant dipping below 40 but we haven't had any freezing weather where fuel is going to gel. The temps are going to dip again here today so perhaps it will act up again.

Listening out loud here!

we haven't had any freezing weather where fuel is going to gel.

Yes, but I'm paranoid about fuel quality issues and adamant about doing fuel sample tests because I've been burned so many times. Also, without a doubt, failure to properly check fuel pressure is the #1 thing techs overlook doing a diag. Did you take a sample from the HFCM and visually inspect it?

Posted Image

Just a thought because you didn't mention it and this burned me once. Biased EOT sensor? We had a 6L that would start in the shop but not outside, turned out to be a biased EOT sensor.