2004 Taurus baro issue

Rate this topic

Fredsvt

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me.

This Taurus 3.0 (vin U) 303,600 miles, has an issue where it won't properly learn and store the correct baro reading.

It runs well, however, it will skew baro readings to 142 hz or lower, where 156 hz is normal for our area.

Recently, it's had a Ford reman MAF put in, (disconnected airbox and major dirt contamination) a B1S1 for dead heater, and a B2S2 for dead heater. Codes are P0171 P0174 AND P2196, P2197 (both S1 stuck rich) When it sets these codes trims are way out, as high as 56% both banks + ST and 25%+ LT. When at proper 156hz fuel trims are 0 to -1.0 both banks ST and +4 B1 and +7% B2 LT.

I ran the baro learn procedure in PTS, but, it'll only do it stationary while power braking as I can't drive at greater than 50% throttle long enough without going way to fast. Once I have done the learn either in bay or in the lot, and drive it, it skews the reading in less than a 1/4 mile back to 142hz.

Am I missing a step to make this thing retain the correct learned value? The last thing I'm trying is to let it completely cool down, as it won't learn a new value unless at operating temp.

TIA

With that kind of mileage and a history of dust in the intake I would try running it with the pcv valve out. Crankcase fumes may be polluting the intake and messing with your fuel trims. You did check your fuel pressure?

Hi

Thanks for responding. I caught a typo in my first post, it's P0171 P0174, lean b1 and b2, and then P2196 and P2198 (both banks O2 stuck rich). How can this thing store both lean trim codes, but have stuck rich O2 codes at the same time?

The fuel pressure mirrors desired on scan data, and indicates about 2 psi higher.

I put in a new valve, as the old one had a pounded out seat. Damn expensive little valve, with that heating element.

The car runs very well, other than the MIL coming on, with the 4 codes stored, and each time it stores them, baro is always at 142hz to 145hz. I have noticed, if its able to hold proper baro, for as short as it does, it runs the same, but it doesn't ping. It pings rather loudly when baro drops off.

I have watched calculated load, and it maxes out at 82% just prior to shifting into 2nd at WOT.