Colling System Flush

Rate this topic

Hey anyone, I have a 1997 F250 Powerstroke i am looking to change coolant and flush the system what is the best method to do so..? I was reading in a few other forums there are a few bolts on the block i have to open im really not to sure about the whole process.. thanks for all your help!

• 3 weeks later...

there are plugs on each side of the cylinder block. If I recall the starter is in the way of one of them or it may be just above. I would reccomend pulling one of the block plugs and the lower radiator hose when the engine is warm(BE VERY CAREFUL SO YOU DONT GET BURNED). Flush with clean water a couple times(fill with water and drive it a few miles so it gets to operating temp). Dont forget to have the heater on to clean out the heater core. Once satisfied it is clean put one gallon of straight coolant in(to compensate for the water you can not drain out) than fill the rest of the way with 50/50 coolant and DISTILLED water(in fact I even use distilled water to flush with). Test drive a while to get engine to temp and mix everything well. Than test freeze protection and sca level. It depends on the coolant you choose to use wether you need to add sca or not. Is it just a maintenance flush or is the coolant contaminated with something? judging by the age of the post you have already flushed but better late than never I suppose. Welcome to the dts.