Modification funnies...

Rate this topic

Got a PM on "another" board....

"i got an 05 f350. Wanted to buy exhaust intake and edge so i took the man's advice and got them installed. Know i picked the truck up and by the way got the exhaust with no kitty put back on (his advice). The problem i have know is that my check engine light is on and reads code p0402 which is egr flow excessive. Can i do anything to get rid of the light. The guy from the place where i bought and got the product's installed tell's me to call edgr, or the afe intake company. He is not helping me, maybe you can. "

It was everything I could do to NOT tell him to take it to his dealer.... come to think, that might have been best...

• 4 weeks later...

I am starting to see this more now. 4" right out of the turbo all the way back w/stock catalyst and a junk intake air filter. Same code, same scenario...Read Broadcast Message 4900: 

2005 Excursion/2005-2006 F-Super Duty 6.0L -"P0402 caused by aftermarket equipment"Some 2005 and 2006 6.0l diesel equipped vehicles may set dtc P0402 (egr flow excessive detected). before proceeding with normal diagnostics, inspect the vehicle for non-approved aftermarket air induction systems, larger exhaust systems eliminating the catalytic converter, and/or performance enhancing chips/programmers which often change the dynamics in the air management system. The use of non approved aftermarket air induction systems can also contaminate the hot wire on the MAF, and cause inaccurate EGR diagnostics and function. Replacement of factory components will not resolve these concerns, and should not be attempted or covered under warranty...

I was talking to a tech who had one driving him nuts. The EGR would go to zero percent after about 20 minutes of driving (and I believe he got a P0401). He finally removed the Air Raid to install a stock air cleaner and found...a Tornado. He fixed that by applying a BFH to it.

...a Tornado. He fixed that by applying a BFH to it.

:rofl: Speaking of aftermarket filters, a recent customer complained that his engine was always dirty and wanted to know why. I inspected his truck, oil film on everything including the underside of the hood with a light coating of dust and heavier on the drivers side. Filthy!Turns out the dude has a heavy foot so every time he lets off the go pedal and all that charge air comes rushing back out it picks up the crankcase vapors from the breather and straight out his K&N filter which is sitting in an open air filter box sucking in hot engine compartment air.

• 2 weeks later...

This was e-mailed to me today, the first funny thing to realize is that the "contact us" link brings up a page with red lettering "This link is not to be used to ask technical advice and such requests will not receive a response."Yet the mail still comes... 

to whom it may concern,i have a 2003 ford f250 super duty powerstroke diesel. i had a edge product w/ monitor installed. i am having problem with my windshield wiper. when i turn the wiper on the engine tends to stall and sometimes it would dies. however when i unplugged the edge product everything works fine the engine does not stall or dies. is there something wrong with the edge product or with the stalk where the wiper switch is at?thank you

Keith.... looking at the "quality" of the question, is there any .... ummm, question?

It doesn't matter that the doesn't fit/perform like the ads and the glossy pics on the pretty box indicate - after all, it's that crappy truck that doesn't fit the shiney new parts.

The moron answers his own question.The guys on the Indian site I frequent would have a field day with this!My buddy owns the local speed shop, and after many horror stories from me,and I'm sure FordMasterTech, he has stoped selling the tuners for the 6.0L,because before it comes to us it goes to him, and everyone wants to know why their engine blew etc,etc.Thanks for the site Keith! :cheers: