Ford IDS VCM Questions

Rate this topic

I am looking to buy an IDS and VCM set up. I am looking to be able to diag the diesels (primarily) and program ficm's. I have been looking at some used equipment but am not knowledgeable enough to know exactly what I am buying. I am looking at a laptop with IDS v74 with a vcm to laptop cable and the vcm to obdii cable. How old is the v74 software, will it let me do what I am wanting to do. How much does it cost for a v77 subscription per year? Anything else that I need to communicate to a vehicle. Thanks for the help.

It all depends on how much this used equipment is going to cost. The next generation VCM is being released later this year and as a result I suspect there will be a lot of "old" VCM's for sale which might drop the price on them. The new VCM2 is about $900 plus cables...

Read THIS TOPIC for more info on the new VCM. You may decide it will be better in the long run.

You will need to keep your subscription current if you plan to be capable of reprogramming modules and retaining all of IDS functionality. I have heard that out of date subscriptions turn your IDS into an expensive code reader. Not sure... just what I hear.

You used to have to purchase a yearly subscription but Ford has changed that. You now buy a license for the IDS software, not the VCM. As Ford techs we can now pay yearly or pay monthly which if my memory serves me is around $40. Since you are not a Ford technician, an international tech would probably have to go through the Motorcraft website or contact Rotunda directly foe subscriptions.